Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bettertimesahead
      Participant

So as expected ex has declined my offer to buy him out. He has stated he disagrees as feels house is worth more. The figures he quotes via his housing officer are ridiculous. Also reckons our house contents are worth a n amazing amount. I expected it but it has still knocked me for 6. I am fed up of fighting. And I’m angry that instead of planning my retirement I’m going to be struggling to keep my house. I feel like saying have the contents of the house but I’ll knock the value you say off my offer. I’d happily replace everything. Going to meet with my solicitor but I know I have a battle on my hands. Feeling scared, sick, angry.

KIP.
      Participant

You describe exactly what I went through right down to the over valuation. He’s not going to agree to anything. If he does he will simply change his mind. Get an idea of what the law says you’re entitled to. Make him an offer and if he refuses then get an application in for the court to decide. Keeping all the evidence of his behaviour and if his behaviour costs you more then you can ask the court to get him to pay your legal fees. There must be some weakness he has. (detail removed by Moderator). Do you have evidence of his abuse. Can you divorce him for unreasonable behaviour? Is there something else he doesn’t want exposed. The gloves are off.

Bettertimesahead
      Participant

Thanks kip
      My divorce is complete, I have a restraining order against him and a possible another offence currently with CPS. I have the upper hand with regards to finances as always worked and for some years he paid bare minimum from his (detail removed by moderator). He also racked up (detail removed by moderator) debt. At times we have earnt similar amounts but generally I’ve contributed more , plus held a responsible job, got promotion etc whilst he’s had (detail removed by moderator). But my resilience is low and it scares me.

iliketea
      Participant

Get a RICS valuation – the courts will accept that as the final figure – not some inflated price from an estate agent who is wanting to sell the house for a commission – RICS will be about £400 but worth it for a final no argument figure. Cant remember, are you married and is this part of a divorce settlement? Is he still living there? I went through this too. But got a non-mol and occupation order so he had to move out, changed the locks. Pm me as I know we can’t talk openly about legal stuff for legitimate safety reasons I guess. x

iliketea
      Participant

House contents valuation – get a probate valuer to do it – again, will be a final legitimate no argument figure (and usually comes in much less than if you sold on ebay/marketplace etc) – that the court will accept. Or give it all to him as you say, stuff is stuff and easily replaceable (Marketplace Freecycle) – unless it is yours and you have personal reasons to keep it – then keep it – and if you bought it with your own money (and do you have proof as will be even stronger evidence).

Bettertimesahead
      Participant

Thank you, I’ve messaged you

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content