Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      DesperateDanielle
      Participant

I finally left my abuser in (detail removed by Moderator) and moved into temporary housing. As I had no money I applied for universal credit. So far I have received some housing benefit and the grand total of £22 to live on. When I queried why I was told hmrc records show my jointly owned company has been paying me a salary every month. He put the company in joint names for tax purposes. More than (detail removed by Moderator) years of owning the company I’ve never been allowed to have access to any money from the business go into my bank account, but I have got a massive unpaid tax bill!

I thought he couldnt abuse me anymore when I left . Now I’m Trying to get this reconsidered as part of his ongoing domestic abuse. He would love to think he is making my life so difficult after I dared to leave because he would see it as a win.
      I’ve paid for copies of bank statement going back years to prove I’ve had no money but universal credit just says hmrc say you have an income. He is supporting my adult daughter as a student and i haven’t wanted to get the police involved but I’m coming to the end of my tether. I’ve been gone (detail removed by Moderator) months and he is still able to control my life by his actions.

He is just doing this every single month. Every month I’m having to get things looked at again. These reconsiderations have no response timelines either.

Has anybody else had a similar experience or have any suggestions of how I can get a resolution?

KIP.
      Participant

I reported my ex to HMRC for tax fraud. I managed to get bank statements, some accounts etc and sent them off. He’s supporting our son and I’m convinced he did this to try to prevent me from reporting him. Using our son to protect his activities. Ring Rights for Women for some free advice. My ex left me no choice. Get a good solicitor and take him to court for money he says he has paid you and the money he owes you. I bet he has been acting fraudulently so exposing him in court might be the leverage you need. It worked for me.

KIP.
      Participant

You should qualify for legal aid. Try getting some legal advice.

DesperateDanielle
      Participant

I Found out today he knows where I am.

I spoke to hmrc and they said he had created an online account for me. I had phoned them before this happened to ask them not to give him access to do this but it has happened anyway. I think this is where he’s found my address.

Hmrc additional care team were very helpful when they realised this had been done after I left and without my consent. They were also very interested in what he had been doing and said they would be forwarding information to their fraud team. I dread to think what they will find once they start looking.

Hopefully I can get something official from their team that the financial abuse has occurred and dwp will finally accept I’m telling the truth.

Serenity
      Participant

Wow, well done for taking issue with it.

I’m glad HMRC have been supportive. They were to me too, when I contacted them about things to do with my ex.

Keep on chasing it up. Don’t let your case get lost in the system.

Good luck x

Dragonfly
      Participant

So glad you’ve spoken to HMRC and it looks like they’re doing something. It really is incredible what they’re capable of. Hope it all gets sorted soon x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content