Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      journeyupwards
      Participant

Today, I really came to the terms with the notion of being a survivor.

I realised that my life is completely in my control, and it all starts with mental hygiene.

I have been writing down the things I love about myself as part of rebuilding my self-esteem, and I am going to start doing positive things like this on a daily basis. This is really helping me during the processing phase and I know it will help me in the long-term.

I don’t feel like a victim, and I am so happy that I am truly moving forward. I am not just focusing on a positive future, but I am also finding the positive in the now.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Dear Happypath,

Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sure your focus on trying to be positive will help with your recovery. Try not to worry too much though if you can’t be positive every day!
      You post also demonstrates why we prefer to use the term ‘survivor’, rather than victim.

Thanks and Keep Posting,

Lisa

fizzylem
      Participant

Hey HP, lovely to read and even better to know you feel you’re now a survivor! Whatever helps – take it!

For me, it’s about being in a position / ‘a constant state where I feel ‘OK’ to be me’, and when I don’t, say if I panic and feel fearful again, or if I feel stressed, lonely or low that day, I now know it’s all about pulling that back to the feeling OK to be me state again, so I do what is needed to get to that – if this makes sense. I can do this a lot quicker nowadays and feel ok to be lonely, lost or low sometimes.

It’s also about knowing and feeling what I am quite good at, and also what I am not so good at and feeling that’s ok as well.

I think a big part of healing comes from knowing what made me vulnerable, what was it about me and what I did – the where did I go wrong bits – as this leaves me feeling more resiliant, that I have learnt, grown – got wiser – I do know now it won’t happen again.

Keep going! Smell the flowers as often as you can x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content