Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Things had got so normal in my life that I was starting to wonder if I had made it all up.
      People have told me I shouldn’t lock my memories away, but if it helps me to survive, why shouldn’t I?
      I work on the phone all day long and a man came on the phone who terrified me. I don’t remember what it was about him that scared me so much.
      On the way home from work I had a really bad flashback. I was practically screaming from the pain of the memory. I was supposed to see friends tonight but I just decided it would be better to be in my own safe place.

KIP.
      Participant

I had this dilemma. I lived throughout my abuse in denial.Locking things away. The trouble is if you don’t deal with the abuse it comes back in the form of flashbacks and nightmares and anxiety. There’s a good book called The Body Keeps The Score. It’s so important to get good trauma therapy. Get the trauma out in the open and deal with it. That way it won’t catch you unaware when you least expect it. But yes, I was told I lived in survival mode with my abuser. When I left I wanted to go back into survival mode because it was familiar to me. But it’s a festering wound that needs opened and cleaned. When you’re ready x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I’ve always locked things away, it’s definately been my way to deal with things. I’ve a preliminary meeting to decide what type of counselling i can be offered coming up soon. I’m going to definately take something, i feel this is too big fir me to deal with on my own.
      IWMB 💕💕

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for your replies. I tried counselling but it just left all my wounds open for every man I met or spoke to to rip open again.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi freedoms, that’s what worries me, but i think if i don’t try it i really will go insane. Though on retrospect if i left him that would probably be the best thing i could do😏😏.
      Take care Freedoms, thank you for all your replies you’ve given me too, you have helped me enormously as well💜

IWMB 💕💕

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good luck IWMB. Hopefully when its your time, you will know what to do. Just never let anyone tell you that you made the wrong choice. We all know our own situations.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content