Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Toffeeapple
      Participant

Hi,I’m a new member. I have been living with my husband’s varying degrees of verbal abuse and gaslighting, silent treatment for many decades. He also pushed me around the kitchen many years ago. Abuse has left me with physical and mild mental health issues.(detail removed by moderator) My son and daughter say I need to talk to a Counsellor. A private counsellor rang me. My husband was in the house so I gave her a time when I could talk but she never contacted me. Wondering what other ladies experience of Counselling is. Hoping to get support here as can’t find it anywhere else at the moment anyway. Take care.

Glasshalf
      Participant

Hello @toffeeapple fistly, I’m so sorry for what you’ve been through. That sounds terrible.
      It’s vreat you are reachibg out for support.
      Your children have given you good advice.
      I’ve been speaking with a therapist (counselor) for several months. Having someone to talk to and who helps me prioritise me has been invaluable.
      We meet regularly and i find myself looking forward to it. Without directly saying it, she helped me uncover the extent of abuse i’ve been (and am) living with.
      Some advice: you need to do a few sessions with the therapist to see if they are a good fit for you. If you’re not feeling comfortable, try a different person.
      Be honest. This is time for you and your wellbeing. I hope it can help with your recovery.
      Please also feel free to share here. This community is very supportive and can understand what you are going through.
      Take care, xx

Darknessallaround
      Participant

Hi @Toffeeapple, I’m sorry the first person you reached out to didn’t get back to you.
      If you google Counselling Directory – you can filter by area, cost, type of therapy, concessions etc – you can make initial contact by an online form or phone the therapist direct (most give a contact number).
      Hope that helps.

Galabeee
      Participant

Sorry to hear you are going through this @toffeeapple
      Counselling can be really helpful and finding the right counsellor is so important – you could also see if your local women’s aid has any provision or talk to your GP?
      Hope you manage to get some support soon

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content