Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Herindoors
      Participant

My ex sucked the confidence out of me. His favourite phrase to me was ‘are you ÂŁ%&^*” stupid or something?’. He would tell me everyone at work hated me and was scared of me. He said that he could do my job just by reading my trade magazines. He said I was not aggresive enougth at work. He complained that I spent too much time at work but in the same breath would say I should be looking for a bigger job with more pay.
      My relationship with my boss has been a bit parent/child and deep down I know this is because I am scared of what she thinks of me and that actually I am rubbish at my job etc…
      Last week however I had an epithany moment.
      There is a promotion I want to go for and I have been talking myself out of it but suddenly it was like logic caught up with me.
      I hold a position of some responsibility and I now realise I am well respected in my organisation. It suddenly hit me that if, during a long abusive marriage, I could not only hang onto my job but manage to progress up…..well what on earth could I achieve now that I am free and out of the marriage ?!?
      And suddenly I wanted to fight for the promotion. I know I could do a good job of it, I actually know that I could. I have not changed overnight (still lack confidence in other areas) but quite frankly the facts were starting me in the face and I could no longer listen to my inner child, I had to pay attention to the adult.
      🙂

Ayanna
      Participant

Wow, this is great! Go for it!
      I lost all my confidence and I try to build myself up again.

White Rose
      Participant

I’m impressed! Good luck.
      Confidence coming back is a good sign, I hope, I feel it too x*x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content