Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Broadbodiedchaser
      Participant

I’m not sure if anyone has commented on the effects of dealing with emotional abuse, leaving the relationship and having to split the family up by moving out?

I’m finding it really tough. I see my children in ‘mixed doses’ because my new’ house is small and they cannot all stay together.

My son is drifting away from me, always in his room playing video games or at work. He tells me I nag or moan all.the time. I rarely ask him to help out but when I do, this is what he says. I feel like he is with me because my house is right next to where he works. I’m struggling to get any kind of relationship with him and my self esteem is low after leaving a controlling and coercive marriage.

Shipoffools
      Participant

Sending best wishes to you. Is it possible to do some one to one fun things he likes, with him outside the house?

Reconnect with him & enjoy new shared pleasurable experiences together?

It will help to build up a stronger connection to eachother again. I’d kept conversation light & really listen to what he tells you about his life & his feelings which will help guide you to understand him better.

Broadbodiedchaser
      Participant

Thank you, this is helpful. Probably seems obvious but I’m so tired out by everything that’s happened to me over the past 2 years and realising how lonely I am. I try to stay positive but its hard. I have met a lovely man but he live’s miles away. I try to take each day as it comes.
      Someone else has pointed out my children are perhaps copying my ex’s behaviours. I think they are right but I can’t tell them this because he is their Dad. They don’t really understand why I left except I was unhappy. I still haven’t spent a single day at the beach this year. Its ridiculous. Sorry, just feeling sorry for myself. Damaged my knee this week so struggling to get out as well. My garden and walking are everything to me… and the children 🙂 Thank you

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content