Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I read the line today: “Heal yourself by refusing to shrink.”

Our abusers wanted to keep us small. To limit is and to make us doubt ourselves and see the world as a scary place, too complex for us.

To counteract their control and their lies, we must refuse to shrink. Refuse to tell ourselves we aren’t good enough to do the things we want, to achieve great things, to realise our dreams. As we begin to heal, we can think big.

Falling Skys
      Participant

Great words

FS xx

Another great post by Serenity, to add to my collection accumulating on my kitchen wall X*X

I adopted this quote when I thought I might seek revenge on my ex. I will probably be big rather than shrink and not activate revenge. I think if i do activate revenge it will affect my nerves and keep hate not far from the surface. ‘let it go’ is another phrase that comes to mind. X*X

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Thank you Serenity. I’ve always had trouble believing I have the right to take up space. I have to remind myself of my rights to existence sometimes x

Serenity
      Participant

Oh PP, I used to cry to my ex when he was being cruel that I felt like a waste of space. Bet he loved that. Even now, I struggle with ‘imposter syndrome’ at work. That they will suddenly find out how rubbish I really am.

Positive self talk! That’s what is needed! Xx

Ayanna
      Participant

This is powerful!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content