Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Drawingsonthewall
      Participant

So I’m at the point that’s I can’t bare it anymore, he won’t leave and I just don’t want to live in the conflict and walking on eggshells. I need to get out and have been desperately trying to rent somewhere. I have a job and spoke to welfare rights so I know that I should be able to claim benefits support. I am going to be struggling with income proof however as I don’t currently get the benefits or maintenance and so on so currently in despair on how I’ll be able to get a private rental this way. (Been to check whether I could get a mortgage this week and had the same issue there)
      Has anyone done this and secured another place to live?
      I don’t want to go down the refuge route, I just want to keep disruption to a minimum and step out to another home. TIA

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Drawingsonthewall,

I just wanted to offer some suggestions for services that might be useful to be aware of in terms of the situation you’ve described.

Shelter are a housing rights and homelessness charity. They have a helpline where they can offer advice on housing issues: https://www.shelter.org.uk/

Turn2Us are a financial support and advice service, they can advise around benefits, grants and financial issues: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

I’m sure other users will also have some advice to offer you.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

StrongLife
      Participant

Yes, but it took me a while. I rented a room then realised this was not stable then got cheaper flat. I have since moved to ones with better security and location and nicer. I have been here a while. It does take time especially if you have not rented for some time. Having work is good thing.

Secret6
      Participant

Hi
      How are you getting on? I want to rent privately (I have enough savings to do this) but I am retired with no income. I am very isolated and have no friends or family to act as guarantor. This feels almost insurmountable to be, and nobody seems to be able to offer me any real hope. I will have to have already left before I can find somewhere and am terrified I will end up “stuck”.
      I’d love to hear from somebody who has done this.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content