Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Waving not drowning
      Participant

Hi guys

Looking for a bit of handholding today. It’s been so awful 🙁

I can’t stop sobbing and thinking I’ve made a huge mistake leaving my husband.

We had to tell someone (professional) we were separated today. It suddenly became very very real.

I keep looking at my son and thinking you myself that I’m ruining his life. And my mind keeps telling me off for not making it work. I have no idea how we ended up here and it’s actually breaking me in two 🙁

WND X

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Waving not drowning,

I’m so sorry to hear how low you were feeling yesterday, it sounds like such a distressing and difficult time for you. The sense of regret and unsureness you are describing is common when leaving an abusive situation, so you are absolutely not alone.

I’m wondering how you are feeling today?

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi WND

I’m so sorry I didn’t see this yesterday. Are you feeling any better today?

Please believe me when I say that although it seems like you are ruining your son’s life you could actually be saving it.

I stayed with my ex until my sons were young adults. Both were damaged by their father, so much so that my oldest son became suicidal at one point.

However well you think you are shielding your children, you cannot protect them from what is happening. An abusive relationship is a very unhealthy role model for them and manipulative men will manipulate their children as well as their partners.

It will be hard for your son in the short term. Envelop him with your love and be there for him.

The early days of leaving an abusive relationship can be really difficult. Saying it out loud can be very confronting. Give yourself time and space to grieve.

It does get better as you work through your emotions. xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content