• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lisa.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Stuckinafishbowl
      Participant

They let him go. I did my statement they took pictures of my bruises but he still got away with it. I am mortified. How am I meant to carry on now? I’m internally screaming as hard as I can. I feel so cheated I have no idea how I’m meant to move forward. I’m having panic attacks, crying fits, I find myself snapping at my babies I’m a mess. He hurt me he’s hurt me more than once but he gets to carry on as normal and I’m left piecing my life back together. I’m an absolute mess and all I’m doing is crying.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t actually know what is going on with the justice system, same thing happened to me , my ex got away with it , (detail removed by moderator) . I too couldn’t stop crying , I phoned The helpline in tears , I couldn’t believe it . I really , really feel for you , I think it’s disgusting how we have enough trauma to go through without no gratification that we are putting ourselves through more stress so that we can feel some justice that it has been served . I too lost friends over this as I was snapping and so hurt about it all , I was in a total state over it all , putting myself through court , having to face him again all for nothing . This is unfortunately happening too much now to victims of domestic abuse , it’s not fair that they just get to carry on while we are still in trauma over it all . You done the right thing despite the outcome you stood up for yourself, you wanted to be heard for all that he has done to you , you never let yourself down , the system let you down. It takes a very strong person to go through what you have , be proud & stand tall . You showed great courage & strength.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Dear Stuckinafishbowl,

I am so sorry to hear what has happened and how upset and frustrated you are understandably feeling.
      I am hoping you may have been referred and had some contact with your local domestic abuse service after the incident? You deserve some practical advice to help you to feel safer in your home as well as some emotional support.

It is an appropriate time to consider applying for an injunction if you feel able to do so. You can speak to DV Assist about this and they will guide you through the process.

Also, if you feel it would be helpful to discuss your experience of reporting to the police and get further advice regarding the justice system you could contact the Rights of Women’s Criminal Law Advice Line on 020 7251 8887.
      See the website for opening hours.

I really hope you may have been able to reach out to friends or family for some company and help with your little ones. Please be kind to yourself. You have been through an extremely traumatic assault followed by not feeling heard by the police, so it’s ok to just do the very basics right now.

Do let us know how you’re doing when you can, but I will also send you a private message with some further support.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content