Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Hope123
      Participant

Just wanted to post on here as a hello I’ve been lurking around for a while.

I left my abusive relationship. There were people here that answered a post and I will be forever grateful to the strangers on the internet who responded and made me realise that I’d done the right thing and that I wasn’t alone.

Emotions vary daily and hourly and I’m finding that several times a day I come on here to try and counteract the emotional feelings that pull me back towards the abuse.

I will not go there.

Instead I will be settled back in my home and be safe and happy.

It is sad that this forum even has to exist, IYKWIM. But I’m so thankful that it does.

x

Wants To Help
      Participant

Hi,

So glad you are reaching out and that you are finding help and support on here. I only joined a few days ago myself and I can see there are lovely women who are all strangers helping to empower other women; together we can achieve what we want 🙂

I had so many strangers support me through my journey, I really don’t think I would have made it without them. The internet is a wonderful place when it is used for the right reasons.

SmileAndWave
      Participant

Hi Hope123,

You’ve taken such a difficult but important step by ending the relationship and I hope you feel able to give yourself credit for that – it’s an incredibly brave thing to do and something amazing that you’ve done for yourself.

What’s also amazing is that you’re coming here and sharing your feelings when things are tough, because facing how we actually feel and letting ourselves react to what we’ve been through can seem to be the hardest thing of all. However, as you’ve already described, on this forum you are surrounded by people who understand a lot of what you’re going through and want to listen and help. You’re not alone in those difficult moments and you’re definitely not alone in feeling the pull to turn back.

There’s a Maori proverb that I came across that says, “Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.” It helps me to carry on moving forwards and remember that what happened is in the past, a shadow of what once was, and doesn’t define me or my future, where great things lie ahead.

When you feel the pull to go back, remember what you have done for yourself by leaving, that great things lie ahead of you, and that you deserve each and every one of them. Fill that hollow feeling of uncertainty and self-doubt with small acts of self-kindness, because you deserve that, too.

And when in need of inspiration, there’s nothing better than watching Dr Maya Angelou recite her poem, Still I Rise. (detail removed by moderator)

Wishing you well. X

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content