Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      BlueDaisy
      Participant

Hi!
      I’m new to the forum and I’d really like some help! My partner and I are separating after (detail removed by moderator) years together. I have nothing.
      I don’t know what to do about housing – he refused to put my name on the mortgage so I have no home. Tbh I don’t want the house anyway as I couldn’t afford to run it!
      I have no money – he prevented me from working.
      I have no family local to me – we moved (detail removed by moderator) miles away from my hometown because of his job.
      I have 3 children to look after.
      Where do I go for help with housing and benefits?

KIP.
      Participant

Firstly welcome and I’m sorry he is putting you and his children through this. Secondly, never ever believe a word he says. Abusers are pathalogical liars. Speak to a family solicitor as soon as possible for legal advice. Most offer the first consultation free. Or you can ring Rights of Women for free legal advice. If they are his children he also has a duty to provide for them. Just because your name isn’t on the mortgage doesn’t mean you’re not entitled to some share in the home. As a care giver, you give up an income to support him. You’re entitled to be recompensed. If he is abusive you could ask or an occupation order or non molestation order which would keep him away in the meantime. Definitely contact your local women’s aid. They can support you with housing and benefits and give you lots of moral support. Very often abusers play a game where they pretend they want to separate just to punish you or to see how you will react. There will be lots of mind games played from now on. If you can find any documents relating to finances, try and copy or screenshot them. Try not to panic. It’s just another form of abuse of which I’m sure there have been many x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Bluedaisy

Welcome here, and i hope you will find it really helps you with what you are going through right now.

Makes some calls before making any definite decisions. With the right housing and benefit spport you may be able to stay in your family home.

I imagine you are not married, as that would definitely have given you legal protection.

However, his abuses in preventing you from working and other abuses, will be vital evifence of how he has kept this from you.

Keep posting, and ringing RoW and WA for support and advice.

Warmest wishes

TS

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content