Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      JoyForever
      Participant

Hi,

After months in a refuge, I’ve been unexpectedly offered a property by a housing association. Going to view and very likely sign it next week.

Now,the council normally provides support with furniture and decorating. With Covid-19, this has changed. There is a potential that I could get a bed and a fridge. Cooker and washing machine if lucky.

I feel that I am at disadvantage now as the normal support is not accessible. There is a place where I could get affordable furniture but it is shut.

Unfortunately, the support workers have not been helpful at all pressuring me to move out. I have to sign before I could get the potential furniture. Even that help, I find it myself and the workers herr did not even offer to do the referral. Really bad.

What help is out there? Moving in this time is challenging as I have nothing.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi there, I find this strange that your support workers are pushing you to move out. I am in similar situation, was offered a house by LA, but until social welfare fund was approved WA wouldn’t let me move in as I’d be living without basic living requirements.they are absolutely okay with me still being here. The downside of having two houses is that UC only pays rent on one property,(the old benefit system covered both till you moved in)so obv WA get that, but I’m liable for the rent till UC is set up to pay it on the LA property. There’s something called discretionary housing payment and as covid19 was something outwith my control, I’m hoping I’ll be entitled to it,or I’m looking at a hefty debt before I even get settled🤨There was already backlog of applicants before covid19 and that has just made it worse. Nearly 4months later I’m still waiting on goods but have at last had a phone call to say company delivering them should be in touch soon. The whole reason we’re in refuge is to keep up safe and give us time to save up money for our future life.and that the welfare fund is available to us. WA support worker should be making application on your behalf. Maybe different areas work differently, but noone should be forcing you to move out of refuge into a house without the basic white goods, carpets, bed at a minimum. If you feel they are bullying you can you contact the person who runs the WA centre? I was led to believe by one worker we were only in refuge accommodation for a year, but another said it’s until we move on to our own home. Not everyone is ready to move even after a year away from their ex.
      Best wishes IWMB 💞💞

JoyForever
      Participant

Thanks for your response. They call themselves WA but they are not associated with the official WA. I have done a lot of things by myself and many days there would be no staff all leaving us to fend for ourselves.

All I hear is that I am taking up space and need to move while they are empty flats in here. I can’t afford a double rent so will have to move out. If there is at least a bed and a fridge, that’d be sufficient to start with. It’s saddening that we are put in this situation.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi there, please stay where you are until you decide what’s right fir you. If you decide to move on make sure you get amenities turned on, especially if you have to use a prepaid card. Ive been messed about so much by one of the big 6 Ive had to ask my MP for help. Could maybe your local councillor help push welfare fund on. It really is a postcode lottery isn’t it when people need help😔

JoyForever
      Participant

Hi IWMB,

Thank you for response. I told the refuge that I won’t move until I have furniture on. First time doing bills, don’t know what’s involved.

The new place is a bedsit thus doing flooring now would be the best. Will have to sign on Monday as I won’t get another offer.

I will contact our MP. I really need help.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

It’s scary, I was always the one who took care of the bills before, setting up direct debits etc. Having to get turn on and test organised fir gas has been a nightmare but might not apply to you. Is it a private landlord, you might have amenities included. PM if you want some more advice, or if okay on main forum im okay with that too. I managed to get local guys to move my things from storage, even making that initial contact was scary, it’s Like ive become this useless shadow of my former self, doubting myself, guess that’s years of listening to him telling me how useless I was. When you do things on your own, it rally is a confidence booster.
      Good luck with the move.💞💞

JoyForever
      Participant

Thanks! I’m okay here in the forum. This is my first place on my own. It’s a housing association so a social landlord. Bills will be up to me.

I feel pressured and rushed to leave refuge. There are empty flats here yet I’m told I take up space.

I just need a little more time to get my move sorted.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content