Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      gettingtired
      Participant

He is trying to get us a joint bank account set up.

Does anyone know if it wil be ok if I just don’t put any money into it?
      Can I take my name off of it at any time?

gettingtired
      Participant

The joint bank account would be for bills to go out of by the way. Not for us to share savings or money.

Hetty
      Participant

You can take your name off. I did this without having to get consent from my ex. It was a pain as o had to ring and explain my circumstances which wasn’t nice to do and then go into the bank. Be mindful that if there’s an overdraft he could accumulate debt in your name too.
      Could you make an excuse to not do this? It’ll be one more hassle for you to deal with if/when you leave xx

gettingtired
        Participant

Thank you Hetty, do you know if you can get ones without an overdraft?
        He has suddenly sprung it upon me today and I’m feeling so panicked and trapped I’m not sure how I’l get out of it. xx

gettingtired
      Participant

He is making me do it today. I have no way of getting out of it. Nothing will need to be paid into it until a few months on when we’re supposed to be moving. But I’m hoping to get out before we move. Does anyone know if I’ll be ok to just get myself off of it and won’t be affected as it won’t have been used before I go?
      I’ve looked on Martin’s money advice website but can’t find all the answers. I can’t believe he is doing this.

Hetty
      Participant

You can get your name off – whether it’s been used or not I imagine the process to be the same. It’s a pain and if you want to do it without his consent then you’ll have to disclose to the bank about the domestic abuse. They have special teams to support in these circumstances. Otherwise there’d need to be joint consent to get off the account when you leave. Just be careful he doesn’t accumulate any debt – unpaid bills which then accumulate late fees etc. You could then potentially have to pay this back too I imagine having to go through that would be a pain. Thankfully my ex wasn’t stupid enough to accumulate more debt when I left and I could get my name off the account easily with no fees.

gettingtired
        Participant

Thank you Hetty, I wasn’t intending to put any money in it so hoping that it will be ok as he won’t be able to take my money. I see what you mean about accumulating debt but I’m hoping to get out before. I think I read something about how having a joint bank account can mean your credit rating will then be affected by theirs? Not sure if I misread.

Hetty
        Participant

I’m not sure about that. You could pop into bank and ask those questions when you’re alone x

KIP.
      Participant

I had real problems with my joint account. Once both names are on it, either of you can change the terms. Like overdraft. My ex froze the joint account (put it into dispute) which meant I could not remove my name without his permission. My advice is not to do it. There’s no need. It’s a good opportunity to get his name on the bills and his own bank account. He’s going to force you to do this as it’s another hook for you. Any debt that he runs up is half your debt. I doubt he will want a joint bank account without an overdraft facility.

KIP.
      Participant

Check out the terms and conditions on the bank website x

KIP.
      Participant

There’s a great charity called Surviving Economic Abuse. They have a website,

gettingtired
      Participant

Thanks I was wondering if you can get ones without overdrafts. He wants to set it up for bills so I assume we would both set up direct debits from our individual personal acccounts to that account each month for bills. I don’t want to stay with him but I’m not ready or sure how to leave yet so may have to do it. I’ve read online the bank may let you take your name off without his permission if you explain he is abusive xx

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content