Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      smithy
      Participant

I think im about to be offered a council rent property, it will be unfurnished, no carpets etc. my question is how do I pay for all that? Is there financial assistance? I have all my furniture but no way I can move it myself and no funds for a removal firm. It feels so near but also so far out my grip! I’m worried that if I don’t stay in the new house from the day I get the keys that the council will revoke my tenancy. Anyone else been in this situation and can help?

I’m just so tired of all the battles to even get to this stage, I need a good nights sleep and a bit of down time. im emotionally exhausted. Ive googled til I cant google any more! the information is probably out there but im too tired now!

KOTB
      Participant

Hi Smithy
      Depending on your circumstances you might be entitled to up to 2 white goods, £30 B&q vouchers for decorating and a crisis loan. Look on your local council website.
      Good luck!
      KOTB

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Could you contact your local councillor, they may be able to help with this. These are the very issues that I feel we as survivors are badly let down on.
      Once you are offered a tenancy, that is the day you apply for benefits, the housing officer should have the relevant forms with them. They know you won’t have the funds to pay the rent, council tax, heating etc and through benefits you’ll get a crisis grant/loan. They know they’ll be paid once your money is sorted out at dwp and arrears will be paid to. It took a few trips on the merry go round to get that information for me. The amount you’ll receive will depend on individual circumstances but it usually starts at the basic amount and will then increase once your situation is clarified. If you go onto dwp site it will tell you the amount you can hope to get. Universal credit is a new blanket term for esa, job seekers allowance, housing benefit etc, but the amounts haven’t changed.
      It’s something less to worry about but very hard for some reason to get someone to give you this information. I only found out as I was at CAB on a different matter and my situation came up.
      Good luck with the move, if you put up curtains or blinds, that lets people know you’re in the house, and you can slowly move things in bit by bit. So long as you pick up mail just in case of housing visits, if you’re not in the house for a month, the tenancy is revoked, but they obviously need to be told you’re not living there. So if you cant stay in it when you get the keys, at least stay in it, one or two nights out of the month. You’ll also get so much for decorating and as KOTB said white goods as well.
      IWMB 💕💕

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi smithy,

Thank you for your post. The assistance you may be able to get can vary according to your local area, so as mentioned in the replies above, speak to a housing officer at the council about this. Also, I’d suggest talking to your local domestic abuse service to find out if they know of any schemes that run in your area. Often there are charities that may help with furnishing and providing white goods.

Turn2Us are also an excellent organisation who help people to access financial support, have a look on their website for how to get help. They also have a Grants search on their website.

Keep going, you’re nearly there. I hope that it won’t be long before you can feel safely settled in your new home.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Alone
      Participant

Did you manage to get any help? Doing everything alone is something I am really struggling with! I spent £200 on a wardrobe-chest of drawer combo set, only to realise that when it said “two people build” it meant it. I’ve now been living for over a year with the pieces everywhere, as I was unable to manage, and it’s blocked access to my windows! I have old furniture that I need to get rid of, but I cannot physically get it down the stairs on my own! I contacted my council, who told me that for a fee they would take it to a dump once it’s down the stairs, but there is zero support for actually getting it down there! Removal men would charge me over £100, just to carry three things down for me… I feel stuck in a mess, and the stress is costing me friendships that are very dear to me. I feel worse than I did before! Starting to wish I could go back in time…

Doris
      Participant

Hi Smithy, Make sure you tell everybody about the change of address including the council, utilities, phones, bank, etc. That’s a good indication of permanency. I am surprised there aren’t any carpets – what did the previous tenant have on the floor? I would suggest going to charity shops and get some rugs. Perhaps get some stuff to up-cycle which gives you something to do as well. I know this stuff will cost money but it’s amazing what bargains you can get at charity shops, jumble sales and boot fayres. X*X Take care.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content