Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone,

Anyone here suffer with anxiety and willing to share some coping strategies? I’ve had a really awful few days and had some kind of episode at work today. I lost any ability to concentrate and sat at my desk unable to function. Outwardly I’m sure I seemed fine as no one around me even noticed anything was wrong but I felt as though at any moment I was going to just break into little pieces. If the phone had rung I wouldn’t have been able to pick it up or even talk to anyone. I don’t really know what happened or what set it off.

To top it off I’ve not been sleeping as I have nightmares every single night which wake me and haunt my days.

I haven’t been amazing at taking my antidepressant but have now set alarms on my phone to remind me each day.

Any other advice?

TTMO X*X

Anonymous
      Inactive

Doesn’t sound much when I put it like that – but I almost became vacant and couldn’t function at all. It was scary! X

Jupiter
      Participant

I live with anxiety and know how horrible it is.

I find distraction of any kind really helpful which means your mind is away from worrying thoughts-I find
      rocking gently in my seat a comfort or doing a kids dot to dot book or colouring in book.It may sound childish but when you buy them no one knows its for you! You can pick this up and leave as it suits you.
      Another useful one is making a drink of tea or eating sweets or other snack–the pleasure brings down the anxiety.
      Jupiter x ps any relaxation helps too.

phantasmagorical
        Participant

Last year I was given a colouring book for adults. I was sceptical of it at first but was pleasantly surprised to find it is quite relaxing. 🙂

Ayanna
      Participant

I take 5-HTP and since it kicked in I feel calmer.

Suntree
        Participant

I took 5HTP too, I still top up when I need too.
        Anxiety help, I used to get so much when I was having to have contact with him or the “professionals” dealing with us.
        I still suffer now.

I did the Freedom Program online, that helped.
        I started yoga at work, that helped.
        I found some new friends by doing outdoor new hobby, and although that was scary and I was nervous it was worth it and gave me, if I can do this I can do that.
        Colouring book.
        Stay away from the computer, limi your time on it.
        Having someone to read his emails for me until at such time I could
        Creating a new email address which I called my happy email. That meant I did not have to open my email everyday.
        Informed my boss of what was going on and a couple close colleagues, to help with that protection.
        Didn’t go anywhere I did absolutely need to go alone.
        Went to therapy
        Got Access to work involved to help me at work and with new tools and techniques.

Bought a cheep treadmill and used it a lot.
        Borrowed a exercise bike, used that too.
        I was supper fit and looked great 🙂

Still trying to fill my life with good things, that way there is little room for the negative.

Just some suggestions, hope it helps

phantasmagorical
      Participant

Hello TTMO,

I think what you’ve described does sound like a lot. It sounds like you’re on high alert to the point of being paralysed. I can identify with this, anxiety has been eating me up something awful for a good few years now.

I’m not sure my strategies are entirely helpful because they usually involve me withdrawing from everyone / everything until I feel able to cope and / or safer in myself. However, if I have the mental focus I like using guided meditation even if it’s just for 5 or 10 minutes. (detail removed by moderator) feel this can help to ground my mind when it’s wandering and won’t slow down. Or if I can’t quite focus on that, taking long deep breaths in through the nose, out through the mouth until my heartbeat is at a normal rate again.

Sometimes it’s just the small things that make it easier to deal with, like having my bedroom low lit (candles or fairy lights are best), burning some incense, sitting in bed with a book and my cat. I try to read right before sleeping because I feel it helps to distract my mind so I can fall asleep more easily. x

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Hi TTMO, I often had this happen at work as my job is quite triggering, so I could sometimes dissociate and shut down mentally. I find that putting my hand on my heart and saying kind words to myself (silently!) that I’m safe and it’s OK to feel this way really helps stop the ‘fear of fear’ feeling. Then I get up, put the kettle on and get back into my body by moving around a bit. Breathing in for a count of 4 and out for 8 actually resets your system back to the parasympathetic nervous system and stops the adrenaline. I’m also a fan of meditation and use homeopathic remedies which I can take as much as I need without side effects. I think the anxiety gets a lot worse with a lack of sleep so one thing compounds the other. The very best remedy though is taking back control over your life in any way you can even if it’s only a small step for now. Hugs x*x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you all so much. I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before so it was all overwhelming and I had no idea what to do. I got over the main feeling within a few minutes but the afteraffects clung with me like a cloak I was wearing for the rest of the day.

Feels awful
      X

lostandbroken
      Participant

I suffer badly with anxiety, my coping methods start in the morning. I have a coffee, snuggled in a blanket and read through this forum. Through my day at work I take little and often walks to the drinks machine or to the loo lol. I eat as much as my body allows me at breakfast dinner and tea. I go to the gym for a run after work. Evenings I have a hot bath or shower, scruffies on and my blanket. Low lights, something good to watch on tv that’s not soppy and scan the forums. Bed time I watch tv in bed, with either my lamp or fairy lights. I like to fall asleep with the tv on too, volume down real low xx

Tiredone
      Participant

I’ve struggled with anxiety for years. It would worsen every time my ex cheated, disappeared or denied me sleep. If I’m being honest I was on high alert for a good (detail removed by moderator). Constantly on edge. Couldn’t sleep and couldn’t concentrate. I haven’t been able to read a book since we got together.

Things that have helped me through anxiety and panic attacks are Rescue Remedy (the spray is the easiest to use), the SAM app (helps distract you and has breathing exercises) or leaving the situation. There has been countless times when I have been super anxious (mainly in confined spaces or situations where it’s rude to leave) and have made my excuses and left. I know it’s running away from the problem but it is an instant relief to be out of the situation.

The thing that has helped the most is counselling. I know the NHS isn’t the best when it comes to mental health issues but talk to a professional and they can work wonders. Antidepressants help numb the pain but don’t fix the problem. Talking about what you’ve gone through will help the healing process.

I need to go back to my therapist because I want to get back together with my ex and the anxiety is creeping back.

As my friend tells me, “this too shall pass”.

Nova
      Participant

Hi
      It beneficial to hear all of the above coping methods, the anxiety is crippling…and any things we can share is good to know.

After many anxiety crashes, I’m learning how to self help.Doing..always helps me, by going out helps change the negative feelings. Deep breathing and calm apps. Physical exercise like a run or a swim, stimulates positive brain chemicals! Can’t focus on reading, could be a film, researching something positive for my future always really helps me!

Hugs xC

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

I write lists of things I need to get done and things I’d like to achieve in the week.
      Getting it down on paper helps make a little head space and it’s a little push to get things done.

I struggle with the required attention span for books and films so I find colouring in or hand sewing useful when I’m paralysed by anxiety and inertia.

Tuppance
      Participant

I too suffer with anxiety and have had attacks normally when it is loud and busy and lots of people or something happens that I wasn’t expecting and I can’t process it to sort it out. It is hard with the kids but if I can I take 10 and go and lie on my bed. I turn all noises off and hug my favourite pillow. I would take it everywhere if I could. I also get fresh air – normally it means I go out in my car and drive a circular loop in peace with the windows
      Open blasting me with fresh air. I too tend to hermityself and withdraw. What I really want is a big strong safe compassionate
      Man ( friend / relative ) to hug me and tell me it’s all ok. So – that’s where my pillow comes in. It’s hard to explain anxiety to other people as, like
      You said, externally we often don’t look like we are suffering x*x

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content