Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      AlienStalker
      Participant

I joined this forum a few days ago. It has been a while since i went through what i did. I have been reading other peoples posts and i do hope the people still in abusive relationships manage to escape them.

I was a stupid naive girl when i met the man i was going to marry. I noticed the biggest change in his behaviour the day we got married. Got told by one of his friends i was “lucky” to have him. I throughout the years was emotionally and verbally abused continually, i barely remember any days i was not in tears by the end of it.

We lived in a big city and i was allowed out once a week to go shopping and i would be called to ensure i was home again and i barely spoke to anyone during that time, lost touch with friends totally cut of from anyone who would see the changes in me. I don’t make friends easily now. We then moved to stay with my family which gave me slightly more support but then there was a member of my family who was overly friendly when not on his medication who i did not tell anyone about until i left.

I will never forget my last night with him when he raised his hand to me or the night i made the choice to leave when he had his hands around my throat again and i had gotten to the point where i told him to just do it. He would punch walls just to scare me. And there was also the times he raped and attempted to rape me. I eventually told someone online what was happening and they gave me the strength to leave.

I seen him recently in my town and i couldn’t get out of there fast enough. He still has the ability to make me run and feel nervous. He had a very different idea of the way women should act and behave in public and i was always getting constantly shouted at for one thing or another.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I have managed to get myself a good job and a stable relationship. Took me a while to get my head straight and i still get the nightmares where i am back with him but they are less regular now.

Just thought i would share my story.

Escaped not free
      Participant

Thank you for posting. It’s encouraging to see that there can be a life that is worth ploughing on for out there in the future. X

Falling Skys
      Participant

Hi AS

Thank you for sharing, it gives me hope for a better life.

FS xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content