Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      marymay
      Participant

How can I ensure an ex who is very controlling doesn’t find my new address please

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Be as secretative as possible. If they have an inkling you’re anywhere in the area they will find a way to find you. Change your routine, doctors dentist any place he knows you go including the supermarket. Let the police know where you are if you feel he could become dangerous, they can make your phone number a priority if you have to call in the future. I never did that, didn’t want to rock the boat anymore than I already had by leaving, that’s how much control he still has of me.
      IWMB 💞💞

KIP.
      Participant

Make sure you let the electoral roll know you want to be anonymous as this is the simplest way to find someone. You could change your name. Deedpol. And only allow trusted close family your address if at all as contact can be via email etc so there’s no real reason to let them know unless they’re visiting.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Oh forgot about that kip, great advice.💞

marymay
      Participant

Thank you so much guys, I tried to take my address of electoral role but to do so they said I needed an official letter saying I was or been in an abusive relastionship. I haven’t reported it and cant because my now relastionship is also controlling and I cant tell my partner that I fear he may track me down. I don’t know why I attract these kind of relastionships but im fearful if my ex finds me and turns up on my doorstep and how my current partner will react. So annoyed I cant come off electoral roll without written confirmation off someone from higher powers. The electoral people said he wouldn’t be able to track me down with my name and d.o.b but obviously you guys know otherwise.

Iwantmeback
        Participant

Hi, I filled out paperwork online, also spoke to someone from council. There’s a bit on letters at back of registering to vote that you tick so your id can be anonymous. It takes you off voters roll, but still allows for credit checks, mortgage applications etc.
        Same happened to me when I wanted to reuse my maiden name at the bank. Said i needed to have a deed poll. No you dont, I wasn’t taking another name, only reverting back to my given name. Talk to someone else, not everyone in authority knows what they’re talking about.
        💞💞

KIP.
      Participant

Please contact women’s aid. They can write your letter for you. Or simply do not register at your current address or you can change your name. You need help with this. Women’s aid were fantastic.

marymay
      Participant

i cant contact them as my now partner is always here unless you think and email should be sufficient from an admin on this forum?

KIP.
      Participant

There’s a chat line on here some days. I’d start with that. You can email your local branch too. They can support you.

Tattybear
      Participant

Hey I don’t want to worry you but try and not give your address to too many people I’ve been in hiding for ten years my named was kept private and but somehow my ex has managed to find my address I even moved half way across the country the advice I’ve just been givin is to make sure you try and keep as many places aware to keep things private. I was told by the police that it is possible to buy address on line it’s shocking hope you sort this all out take care x

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content