Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Salamina
      Participant

Hello
      I’m new to all this and would like to share my story. I was married to my abuser for (detail removed by moderator) years – it was psychological & emotional abuse
      & coercive control. Most of this time I wasn’t aware that I was being abused, but it gradually got worse. (detail removed by moderator) years ago I was forced to leave my family home very suddenly due to his threatening behaviour. I was very scared.
      I couldn’t live in my home any more, even though I owned it jointly with him, so I had to rent a flat. I reported all this to the police, but they didn’t take it seriously, even though my solicitor told me I had a good case.
      I was traumatised & confused for several months but then , once I’d divorced him I decided that I needed somehow to hold him to account. I couldn’t let him get away with what he’d done to me. So I’m now making a claim against him for all the money I had to pay out for rent when I couldn’t live in my own home.
      I’m looking forward to taking him to court.
      Best wishes to everyone

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Salamina,

Thank you for sharing this with us and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you’ve been through so much. It is really encouraging to hear that you are coming out of the other side of this – It must have taken a lot of courage to get to where you are now, and even more so to face the prospect of court proceedings against your ex. I hope you find some justice from this.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

swanlake
      Participant

That sounds so positive. My abuser is trying to cheat so much money out of me to pay their debts. I have been thinking recently about how much I’ve had to pay out for accommodation whilst unable to use a house that I part own because of abuse.
      I hope that you can get some money out of your ex spouse. I saw a solicitor and they reckoned that I had no chance of any money at all in my case. So I wish you all the best for yours and I hope that you got your fair share in the divorce too.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content