Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      wifeno2
      Participant

Hi, I’ve recently managed to get by coercive and abusive (verbally) husband out of a house that I own but he’s applied for home rights through the land registry. Do not want him back in the house as can’t cope anymore – how can I stop this?

KIP.
      Participant

Get some legal advice. In the meantime you could try applying for a non molestation order but definitely report the abuse to you GP and possibly the police. Contact your local womens aid or the national domestic abuse helpline for some guidance. Rights of Women have a free legal helpline. It sounds like he’s planning on coming back so I’d change the locks and get his stuff out. It’s much easier if they don’t live there to get an occupation order etc but once he’s moved in the courts don’t like to make anyone homeless.

KIP.
      Participant

It might be that applying for home rights is a financial move on his part re the division of assets. You can bet he knows his legal rights.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi wifeno2

Well done though for reestablishing yourself in your own home, without him in it. Have you looked up on the Land Registry online what actual ‘rights’ he truly does have? Have you looked up what it says on the gov.uk site? It seems that as he is not joint owner, it would only give him rights to not sell the house from under him, but as you own it and he is not a resident there (change the locks asap!), he has no rights, but please check this for yourself, this was from a brief look at the wordings on those websites.

Your married status will mean that potentially in divorcing your house could be financially divided between you depending on circumstances, ensure that you get orders in place so that the world knows who he is and why you had to separate and get him out of your life, and make him stay out.

warmest wishes

ts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content