Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Trappedandalone
      Participant

I moved away from my home town to live with my partner in his rented house (detail removed by moderator) years ago. In that time I’ve lost my job, my friends, and everything that made me who I was. I don’t have family to turn to. He knows this and that’s why he abuses me, belittling me, calling me crazy etc. I have no income and can’t claim benefits because of his income, but he doesn’t financially support me. I have lots of debt, a lot of which I got into because I feel so helpless. My situation is complicated by the fact that I have a cat whom I adore and could never leave. My partner would not look after him if I did and it would break my heart. I can’t see how I can live like this for much longer as every day I become more suicidal, but for childless women there seems to be no support.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree it’s harder for childless single women, but Women’s Aid will still help you, so give them a call. There are a few charities who have fostering schemes for dv victims. I know the rspca do.

JoyForever
      Participant

I agree with Landy. I’m a childless woman living in a WA refuge. Speak to the helpline and emphasize the support you need. Unfortuneately, I live in a refuge where there is not much support- so please emphasize your support needs.

Refuge is good, it’ll give you the surety of safety and space to breathe and recover. When away from your partner, you should be able to claim benefits as an individual.

I have to make you aware that it can be harder for childless women to be rehoused. Make sure your staff is aware of the vulnerability test that single women are likely to be subject to when making a homeless application. Then you’ll be able to provide evidence and the support letter from the refuge is in your favour.

It is harder for us single women but support is there. Keep reaching out until you get a respone of support. Don’t give up

fizzylem
      Participant

Have you taken any debt advice? Stepchange is a good one; if you dont have an income then you cant pay back your debts can you; they can help by writing to your creditors for you asking them to freeze the interest and set up a minimum payment, which in some cases is a £1 a month.

Will working again at some point be possible? Or do you think this is unlikely? If you could get enough for a private rental, somewhere that accepts housing benefit, then you could claim benefits as the above has already suggested. Your housing and living costs are a priority above any other debts, meaning that you will not be required to pay these ‘instead’, housing and bills need to be covered first and this is recognised in law.

If there is violence though you need the safety of a refuge first – then you can workout the rest later x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content