Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      LookingForAnswers
      Participant

So a positive moment.
      Haven’t left husband yet, or really made any plans. We own a home so need to find all the legal stuff regarding that. But I think I have taken the first steps.
      I got an email from an estate agent saying they are doing free valuations in our area do we want one.
      brought it up with husband saying we also wanted to know how much this place is worth with how much work we have done.
      So they are booked in to come around.
      I’m hoping this will give me an idea to how much I could be entitled to if we sell, or even if I could afford to buy him out.

maddog
      Participant

All estate agents should do free valuations. It is really worth getting several to have a look around. These are people who are working for you and some (many) of them are just rubbish. It is not always about getting the highest price although that will come into it. I really recommend that you kind of interview the agents and see who you would like to work with. Our house is finally on the market. My ex was foot dragging for months.

KIP.
      Participant

It’s not exact and you can look on,one to see what houses are selling for and have sold for in your area. That will give you a rough idea. I needed a proper surveyors valuation for the solicitors as my ex wouldn’t agree to use estate agents valuations. Neither would the solicitors. I think it’s just an excuse for more money. If you can agree a value with your ex then you can avoid unnecessary costs but my ex was so unreasonable and I imagine yours will. He wanted me left with nothing x

LookingForAnswers
      Participant

Good tips,

I’m hoping this will give me the confidence to plan more if I know I have some money to help. Also in the back of my mind I’m hoping if I can turn around to my husband and say if we split you get x amount might help. We shall see.
      Small steps.

KIP.
      Participant

Most solicitors will give you a half hour free consultation so go to a couple. Start secretly gathering all financial information you can. Bank statements, mortgage statements etc. As soon as I mentioned separation my ex behind my back emptied our bank account, closed direct debits, and if you think he’s going to be reasonable please think again. Leaving and separation is the most dangerous time for abused women. All rational behaviour goes out the window. Take advice, get all your ducks in a row, including any debt before agreeing a separation date but most important is good legal advice. You can ring Rights for Women for free legal advice. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone about everything differently. I lost out on tens of thousands of pounds. It’s too expensive to try to recoup your any money through the court process so please take good advice x I was on a high when I realised I was entitled to so much more than he had told me but he quickly changed into a monster, he was arrested. Totally lost the plot x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content