Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lavenderrose
      Participant

Hey all……
      Just hoping someone may have some advice. I’m currently living at my parents home with my 2 children after fleeing the relationship I was in with my youngest father. Its been a number of weeks now and I am finding so hard. My ex is still living in the rented property we shared (he’s been given notice) and we are living out of bags. My family have been wonderful but long term this isn’t going to work for either of us.
      What do I need to do to get on a waiting list for housing? I did call my local council initially but was told I couldn’t be helped. They needed police reports etc! I just feel like my like is such a muddle and I want long term stability for my children.
      Ive also spoken with shelter who since said id have to be homeless to get help. I mean although I do have a roof over my head its only temporary and essentially we had to leave our home due to DA.
      The house will be sold once he moves out due to all the stress that has been bought to my family (we had a tenancy agreement with my parents – its their property)
      Thanks for reading again 🙂
      xx

Yellowflower
      Participant

Hi hun I’m not 100% sure on this. But I was lead to believe you can private rent and apply for the government to help you towards that. I believe you can secure an appointment at your local job centre to discuss it. Have a look on the government housing website you can calculate what you could get to help with rent x

Sunflower1
      Participant

I don’t know if it’s the same as where you live but where I am you complete an application online and then are given a banding, you can then bid on houses, I’m sure if you are overcrowded etc you are a higher priority. I’m registered and every week I look and bid, I have had a flat in the past and wasn’t a particularly high priority as was living in a shared house. You may be able to get help with rent privately as well depending on the area most have gone to Universal credit to replace housing benefit. Maybe try Citizens advice?

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Thanks ladies
      I’ve called the local council and they’re sending out forms to complete. Fingers crossed i’ll Get somewhere xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content