Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sunflower1
      Participant

Hi everyone I wondered if anyone knew the situation with social housing? I signed up ages ago and am registered but not on a priority band so I can bid for properties but the odds of me getting one are pretty low. I read that domestic abuse is classed as a high priority however what evidence do they need for this? Do you have to have gone to the police? I did call them a few years ago during an incident but to be honest I don’t really want to involve them now as I know it would mean my abuser would lose his job (I understand that’s not my fault and his but I still don’t want to see anyone in that position). Thank you x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Sunflower1

I just wanted to show you some support. Sorry to hear that you have not found accommodation yet.

You could ask your GP to write you a letter, or ask your local domestic abuse service to write you a letter, explaining your situation and hopefully help them to see that you are a priority. You can find your local service here: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Take care and keep posting,

Lisa

Mummy2boys
        Participant

Thats how i feel dont want to involve police and hes no where to go. Its more emotional abuse now too

Tabetha
      Participant

Hi I am new on here tonight.
      I have also have housing questions.
      I have a joint council house tenancy with my husband. I always thought I wanted to stay at the house as I have done everything to make it a home for us, and he has done very little. I felt I deserved to stay.
      However now that my boys are adults, one has his own flat, and the other still lives here, I feel like I could walk away and might even relish starting again in a new place. Also, if I ever got my husband out, I feel like I would be a sitting duck here, as I have been when he has left briefly before- he always came back.
      My concern is that I rely on my tenancy and I don’t want to lose it by leaving and being told I am have made myself intentionally homeless……..could this happen? Would my council have a duty to house me separately as a single tenant?
      I have been in this abusive relationship for (detail removed by Moderator) years.

Lisa
        Main Moderator

Hi Tabetha,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum! I hope you find the forum a supportive place to be.

To find out where you stand with your tenancy you could contact Shelter line to discuss your rights. Shelter line offer free and confidential housing information, support and legal advice on all housing and homelessness issues. Shelter line are available on 0808 800 44 44 (8am – 8pm, 7 days a week). The website is available at: https://www.shelter.org.uk

If you feel like you are in need of some additional support, you could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (weekdays 10am – 4pm and 10am – 12pm weekends). They won’t tell you what to do, but can discuss your situation and signpost you to other support that’s relevant for you. You can access the chat service here: https://chat.womensaid.org.uk/

Alternatively if you visit the Women’s Aid website by clicking on the following link: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/ you can get details of a local domestic abuse service in your area. They should be able to offer you some help emotionally and practically with a safety plan.

Do keep posting to let us know how you’re getting on.

Best wishes,

Lisa
        Forum Moderator

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content