Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      wintersnow
      Participant

Hello all. Just left with my kids, staying at friend while council looking for emergency accommodation. Does anyone tell me what is like in emergency, will there be beds, cooker etc? Also council tells me that after 56 days in emergency I HAVE to go into private renting?? Is that true?

Help appreciated.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hello wintersnow

I don’t know how much I can help as all I can say is that ’emergency’ accommodation is different within councils and between councils. So, some emergency accommodation may be a hotel room with ensuite, on a B&B basis, so you would go to the dining area for breakfast things, and just have tea & coffee making facilities in your room, or not even that. Some are more set up for emergency stays where you can provide some of your own cooked meals, through use of shared kitchen facilities, and maybe a microwave and toaster in your room, some would just be a room.

It is true, afaik, that there is a max time for placing in emergency accomm. I think it may be around 2 months, but you could easily check this on the internet by searching for max time allowed, and you would probably find that information quite easily on a site like Shelter, or Citizens Advice. However, I think you would then go into temporary for a max of two years (including/excluding the time in emergency, I’m not sure), or you would be on the list for council housing stock.

If you go into Refuge, time periods can vary, but they would mostly have shared kitchen/laundry facilities, play areas for children, support workers to support you with practical issues/benefits, etc, and either a shared bedroom, or bedrooms for you and any children, maybe ensuite, or not.

Good luck with this next step of your journey, and post again if you need anything else.

warmest wishes

ts

wintersnow
      Participant

So they offered me a temporary accommodation that is unfurnished etc. 40km away from everything me and kids now. Kids support system, schooling, my support system etc. I don’t drive so can’t even get to there.

I’m declining their offer and if the next one (and last one ) will be same type I’m seriously considering to return “home”. Feel totally unsupported and all the stuff police , DV teams told me before I left like total lie.

Twisted Sister
        Participant

When you go into unfurnished temp accomm you will most likely be able to get help with furnishing it through a local charity which the support workers should be able to link you with, and it will be temporary, so you will be able to take time to find somewhere more permanent, but I understand why you feel unsupported and lied to. Can you speak to the DV team that was supporting you and say what you’ve said here? See what help and support they can offer. I know that there is scarcely anything available housing-wise across the country because every council seems to be in crisis with their housing and lack of anything to offer homeless families.

If you speak to the DV team they may be able to transfer your support to another area, so that you have a continued support to help you. It may be better for you to go into refuge and get the help you need?

Many times women will return to their abuser, but its a travesty and massive failing of services if its lack of help that sends you back to your abuser.

The move will be temporary, but yes, its your choice and you only get the three then their duty to you is finished. Could you go back to Refuge in a different area? I know this is hard because of resettling children into a new area, and for yourself to not know anyone. It is extremely rough being a refugee.

Well done though, for leaving, thats not easy either but you’ve done it, you’ve made the break. Do keep in touch on here for support and any other support that you need.

warmest wishes

ts

wintersnow
      Participant

We not been to refugee cause there is no one who can accommodate us, me and kids are too many for them. So we still couch surfing. Waiting for next emergency accommodation offer and then will decide what to do.

Really considering go home, cause there at least kids have all. But not with my ex. Wanna ask my ex to move. But not sure he will agree….

Twisted Sister
        Participant

what would be the worst he could do if you asked him to leave? If you think this is a possibility would it be worth the ask, and would you all be safe with him knowing where you are? I presume the services that got involved, did so because they felt you were unsafe?

If you were able to move back there, you can make an application for a non-molestation order to protect you all from him turning up, and it can have power of arrest attached so you would be able to call the police if he turned up?

Have a think, and refuge situation changes every day, so its worth to keep trying as a place may become available for you all, even if its limited. Do keep trying them. Have you used the chat service on here to get help with refuge. You can get a link to it from here, asking Lisa as I don’t know where it is.

warmest wishes

ts

Ricepudding
      Participant

Hi I really can’t keep doing this day in and day out I want to leave I have (detail removed by moderator) and a dog I don’t know what my options are as I am not leaving either behind. What do I ??? I feel very alone at the moment.

StrongLife
      Participant

I am unsure what it is like in your area. Congratulations on moving out.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content