Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JoyForever
      Participant

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I’ve been in a refuge for some time. I have been advised by the council that my housing application will not be accepted as I haven’t lived long enough in the area. However, I fled DV and it was the council who referred to a refuge. For months, I have not been able to bid but I know other DV women coming from different borough are able to bid straightaway.

I was told I can only access the register if my homeless application has been accepted. This has been refused and is now under review. Even the review is shady and not properly done.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the rehousing process works please? Especially for single women.I would like to bid and have a choice of where I want to live.

fizzylem
      Participant

It’s rubbish isn’t it, I was told that if I could give two names of friends or family in the area then I would be accepted – I got these and they said one of your friends has not lived in the area long enough; felt like one obstacle / blocking after another. I think it massively has to do with what is available at the time and something to do with the council not actually regsitering the real homeless housing figures for some bureaucratic reason I do not know. It can be that difficult to navigate where I live that there are charities set up for this one reason, to help people get housed; wondering if there is anything in your area like this? Guess it’s Citizens Advice if not. I only wanted to move one borough, it was still withing the shire though but it was like I was asking for Canada. Then a friend of mine, in the next shire, already housed with the council, needed a nother bedroom and and it took about 12 weeks to complete from start to finish! He did have to gut the place from floor to ceiling though. I actually dont understand at all why they can say you are not homeless if you are living in a Refuge? I’ve read this before on here. Also why people don’t have the freedom to ask for preferences outside of the county? What difference does it make? It’s all social housing. Have you spoke to the WA helpline about this? It seems to be a common problem so they will be aware and may have some suggestions x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi there JoyForever, it certainly looks as though you are being given incorrect information. Is your support worker at the refuge able to help you challenge this?

Rights of Women are experts around domestic abuse, they have produced some guidance around domestic abuse and homelessness, hopefully you will find some useful information here

Also, you might like to contact Shelter for some guidance, take a look here for further information.

Best wishes

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content