• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Camel.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Purplecupcake
      Participant

I want to leave my abuser, but we are both on the tenancy agreement for the house we share so I cannot kick him out, but since all the rent payments come from my account and tenancy is not up until end of (detail removed by moderator) I cannot afford to rent somewhere else either (let alone afford furniture for a new place) I would wait until end of (detail removed by moderator) but the abuse is affecting our children and I want to get them away from it asap.

Any ideas or advice?

Ariel
      Participant

I would call womens aid and explain the situation. When it’s safe to do so.
      I just read your other post. Hope you are ok.
      Get advice from womens aid. Furniture and stuff is not a priority you can get that as you go bit by bit. Plus WA may have advice of super cheap places or places that donate. There is always a way you just need to plan and be careful and get a WA worker. I worked with mine for 2 years before I was ready to go. But I took such baby steps.

Flower01
      Participant

Hello purplecupcake

I was in the same situation as you before and all I did was just run away when it was safe to but first of all I got advice from women aid of how to leave safely so my x boyfriend would not notice anything it cause me alot of anxiety but i did it .with your tenancy please don’t worry just make your self safe and leave when you can women aid will put you in a safe place away from him you will be okay take it easy. I got away safely with my children when I ran away I was still in a tenancy agreement with my xboyfriend I only payed rent untill I left then my xboyfriend was liveing in the house on his own so he had to pay the rest of the rent for all the times he was there everything will go your way don’t worry sending big hugs

Camel
      Participant

If you are in immediate danger, or feel that the abuse is escalating, then your priority is to get safely away. Get proper support and advice and a place in a refuge if it’s appropriate. Then worry about finances.

As you’re both on the lease you’re both liable for the rent. The landlord can come after either, or both of you, to pay the debt. As soon as you’ve left, give formal written notice to end the tenancy, then cancel the payment from your account. The security deposit will probably cover at least one month’s rent.
      If you have documented proof of domestic abuse, attach a copy, ask if they’ll release you from the tenancy without financial penalty. Don’t give them a forwarding address.

You’ll also need to get your name removed from any other joint bills and council tax. Take photos of meter readings.

If you’re fleeing to a refuge you’ll have to abandon furniture. But it’s just ‘stuff’ and easily replaced. There is financial support available when you get your new place – grants and loans for furniture, housing benefit and council tax relief, loans to cover housing deposit. Citizens Advice is a good place to start.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content