Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Iam stuck! How can i rebuild my life . After he destroyed me finacialy! I cant even get a council house as he left me with council tax arrears. I feel iam fighting a losing battle iam battling the benefit system too . Iam so tired of this now

Serenity
      Participant

Hi I Am Free,

My ex left me in the financial doldrums, andI am still in debt, paying it off bit by bit. The first year was the worst: I felt overwhelmed.

However, if I could give you any advice, in hindsight, it would be to not panic and to speak to the council tax people about your situation. I have found that the people you owe money too are willing to help, as long as you contact them and explain your situation.

I was terrified of these big companies and what they might do, but if you communicate with them, they seem grateful and so are supportive.

My ex hoped that he would leave me in such dire financial straits that I would have no life with the kids for the next five years. However, I am determined not to put my life on hold. I have arranged with all companies to pay off a manageable amount each month, and I saved money to take me kids on holiday- what they deserve. Now I am carrying on working and shopping wisely to pay off the next bit!

Some things that companies don’t tell you about is that many have a Trust Fund for those experiencing difficulty. You have to show your income etc, and they can help you by even writing off some of what you owe.

Make sure that you aren’t paying bills for which he is liable. At least try to get him to pay his bit, even if it doesn’t work. Explain to the council tax people that he was jointly liable. After all, you were paying a couple’s rate, not a single person’s rate.

Make sure you change your council tax to single person’s status now: you will pay less.

Give yourself a three / five year plan where you will pay things off gradually. Don’t try to do it all at once: you won’t be able to enjoy your life if you put too much pressure upon yourself.

Bit by bit, you will get there. 💛

Confused123
      Participant

Hey Hun

Was just going to say same , approach the council explain your scenario otherwise i know is not ideal but look into refugee, house shares or private renting.It maybe early days for u not sure when u left, but hang in there, seek support , give yourself time to receover

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content