Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sad sunflower
      Participant

Hello ladies,

I’ve just started dating someone and I’m afraid it wasn’t a good idea. I’ve been friends with this guy for almost (detail removed by moderator).

Anyway, we went out a couple of weeks ago and he told me he’d been in love with me for a long time. I confessed I had feelings for him too. Now we are in a relationship and I am not sure it is a good idea. I like him a lot and I do have feelings for him but I am so scared I’ll get hurt again. It all just seems to be happening so fast. He’s nice and caring. I like that he’s not controlling and gives me space, but at the same time this whole thing makes me very anxious and I don’t know why. I cannot believe how hard it is for me to have a normal relationship. Every time I go out with my friends I feel the need to text him to let him know where I am and even send pictures (something my ex used to make me do to make sure I wasn’t cheating) and he keeps reminding me I don’t need to do that; he actually trusts me and that’s weird to me.

I thought my friends would be happy for me but they all keep saying it’s too soon and that just adds to my anxiety. I’ve made it clear I am not ready for sex yet (mainly because I had sex with another guy a few weeks ago and it left me feeling awful!) and he’s been so understanding. It also makes me uncomfortable that he lives (detail removed by moderator) and I don’t know if I can handle long distance again. My psychiatrist told me I should wait at least 1 year before dating again and it’s only been (detail removed by moderator) The thing is I don’t want to break up with him, I don’t want to hurt him and anxiety aside, he makes me happy. However, I feel like I still have trouble establishing boundaries. I don’t know if any of this makes sense, I’m a mess right now.

Oh and the guilt! It’s crazy but I feel like I need my ex’s permission to date this guy. I am afraid my ex will contact me again, I’m afraid he’ll find out and try to hurt me, or worse, try to hurt him as he has always hated this guy. I don’t love my ex anymore but yesterday I missed him, I cried all night feeling guilty, wondering what is wrong with me. I know I am not quite ready for a new relationship but at the same time, I feel happy with him so I don’t know what to do.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Sad sunflower,

Thanks for your post and for sharing what’s happening for you. No one can tell you what to do in this situation, but I would encourage you to listen to your instinct. It sounds like this new relationship is causing you quite a lot of anxiety, which is completely understandable. All of your feelings are natural having been through an abusive relationship; you may need to let them rise and give yourself some time and space to work through them.

Keep posting,

Lisa

Anabela
      Participant

I am quite looking forward to read the opinion of other women on this topic. I personally set myself 2 year goal not to date anyone / not to like anyone. However, I can feel that I am missing to have that someone. Although the idea of relationship still freaks me out and even a simple conversation with a man makes me think too much and analyze too much. Not even talking that whenever I look at a man (even if random one on a street) my first thought – how he treats his woman. Is he respectful or a bully. And I tend to draw my conclusions quickly. So I guess I am far from being ready to step into dating world.. Although my friends say the opposite.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I am way to messed up to be dating anyone. I don’t even know who I am anymore so I am not interested in a man right now.
      I think I’ll be ready when I get my life back on track, job and social life, just being able to hang out with friends and family and learn to laugh again.
      I sure do want another relationship but recovery comes first. You know, slowly but surely.

sparkleandshine
      Participant

Hi,
      I totally get where you’re coming from. I guess my question would be, are you comfortable with yourself enough yet to be in a new relationship? I certainly wasn’t and jumped into something two-footed and because I was still so vulnerable I ended up in too deep and it wasn’t making me happy. The after effects of that I feel have been really damaging to my self esteem. So take a moment to see if you’re happy with yourself and your confidence. Most importantly, make the right decision for you – because you matter 😊

Borntobefree
      Participant

Its been a few years since I left my ex.. I want too start dating again but at the same time I loving my own space and doing what I want in life without control.. Trust your gut instincts if you doubting your new relationship and want advice.. Break free now till you are really ready X

survivorandproud
      Participant

Hi sad sunflower,

I’m kind of exactly in your position. Left my ex a while ago now but I haven’t been seeking anyone new or talking to anyone. But I’m quite happy at the moment. I think if I found someone who I liked and who I thought was genuine I would just go for it! Do not let your ex still control your life. Sometimes I feel lonely and I think god should I go looking or put myself on a dating app, but I do think things just happen naturally. I am quite nervous for my next relationship as I feel like I am so tuned into how an abusive relationship goes I’ve sort of forgot what a ‘normal’ relationship is. But honestly everything happens for a reason and do what makes you happy!! Stay strong x

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content