Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Hopingforpeace
      Participant

I think my friend is in an abusive relationship. I have suspected it for months and recently after what they have shared with me I’m more concerned. I might be wrong, I don’t know. I’m not sure what to do. I’ve got bad ptsd symptoms at the moment and struggling myself. I want to be there for my friend and I’m glad they feel able to talk to me but I do find it triggering. I’ve been trying to just listen and empathise and avoid giving suggestions though it’s really hard as I can tell how much they are struggling and can tell they would like suggestions on what to do. I don’t know what to advise as feel I’m not in best place to advise. My heart was breaking for them today as everything they tell me their needs or feelings don’t seem to be important to their partner and as they were making excuses for what their partner said to them. My friend also from what I can tell has a parent who is emotionally abusive to them. I’m not sure how best to help them.

KIP.
      Participant

Suggest coming onto this site or ringing the national domestic abuse helpline or their local women’s aid. You need to look after your own mental health. Maybe suggest she looks online at domestic abuse and what it is. Or the book Living with the Dominator by Pat Craven.

Hopingforpeace
      Participant

Thanks ladies. That’s the problem though I haven’t mentioned abuse to them and they haven’t said their partner is abusive. I suspect it from what they have told me/I’ve seen. I know from what my friend has said previously that they don’t believe they are in a controlling relationship. They said something like they have been in a controlling relationship before and their husband now isn’t controlling in that way. My friend doesn’t know my history as I’ve kept it private.

gettingtired
      Participant

I’m in exactly the same position as you with a friend. They don’t know about my situation either. I’ve advised they contact their GP to log it and look at WA website. It’s very difficult though as her partner is extremely controlling (goes through her entire phone whenever he wants, takes all her money) and she is at breaking point. It’s tricky but all we can do is offer advice but ensure we are putting ourselves first x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content