Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Istherelight
      Participant

Hi
      I know there’s a post Futher down from 2018 but as it’s now 2022 I thought I’d ask again to see if the process is the same or not –

I’ve been in a refuge for a little while and as far as refuges go I’d say it was an excellent place but not for me – I won’t say too much why that is but I really want to transfer to an area closer to my support network and that I’m more familiar with –

I feel I’m not settling and and my needs to recover are quite clear ( here you do a lot of talking and reflective work etc ) when you’re ‘out’ you become very aware what you need to move forward and get on with healing and living – and I need to transfer –

I feel Terrible saying it – ungrateful even , but they do encourage a healing journey-

Do I ask the support team to sort it or do I have to sort it – could I chat with women’s aid and sort it ? – I do not want to end up going back to him – but I can’t stay here- anybody done what I’m asking ? It’s just me no children

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Istherelight,

Thanks for your post. It sounds as though you are recognising your needs which is positive, you can try to transfer although the reality of how possible it is will depend on the area you’re in and your individual circumstances.

You do need to talk to your support team there at the refuge. Depending on their capacity they might search for you, or they might suggest that you call the National Helpline or our Live Chat service to look for refuge spaces. However they do need to be involved and will need to speak to prospective refuges for a referral. Don’t worry too much, they will likely have dealt with it before.
      However, to manage your expectations, you may not be deemed as a high priority for a refuge space as you are currently safe, so it may not be a quick process. Also, whilst I understand your desire to be closer to support, please remember that most refuges won’t take you if they are in an area close to the perpetrator or if they felt you’d be at any risk there. It might be more appropriate to be applying for longer term housing in the place that you would prefer to be.

Let us know how you get on,

Kind Regards,

Lisa

StrongLife
      Participant

I transferred.

I left one refuge, went to hotel for a while and went to another. The 2nd one had more services and I stayed much longer. They also did long term housing etc.

I shared house with someone and the sharer became toxic

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content