Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mell
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I am I need of help once more. Since I have been in a safe place away from my abusive husband with my child, my divorce is almost done. But…since I destitute and only work part time ..i told my lawyer I would be making payments as long as I am working. Every month for 3months I have been making payments to him that I could afford also borrowing to make sure a payment is made. We never discussed a payment plan …just payments when I can.

My lawyer seems to be taking advantage of my kindness and honesty. We agreed on a fee and each time I speak to him he seems to be adding addition fees without consulting me. I am in the process of applying for leave to remain and have no copies of my documents he sent in on my behalf or ref#. I emailed him for updates and he replied via text he want a very huge sum of money by the end of the day.

My passports and my child’s passports are with him and he seem to be bullying me for money he knows I don’t have. I spoke to my caseworker who said he is taking advantage due to my situation and should have advised me to seek legal advise. But instead he didn’t and realised I am desperate and trying to get as much from me as he could as I told him before I borrow from friends to make sure I make payments to him.

He doesn’t contact me and now I don’t know how to get updates from home office about my application for leave to remain.

Is he bullying me? How can I nip this in the bud get my documents back ? Who do I call? He knows I am destitute and trying. Why is he suddenly demanding huge payments?

HELP

Mell
      Participant

I confided in him as my lawyer…he knows I am willing to do what I could but he seems to be dishonest. I have been warned about (removed by moderator) but never thought it would come to past. Me and my child have no form of indetification and are in see of our immigration status as this lawyer would not update me.

Am I wrong to say our passports may be in use for fraud?

I have evidence to show I constantly pay him
      Where do I start?
      URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Dear Mell,

I’m very sorry to read of the situation with your lawyer, it must be very stressful on top of everything else you are dealing with. It sounds like you need some alternative legal information and advice to find out how to proceed. I suggest the following service;

The Rights of Women’s Immigration Advice Line
      020 7490 7689
      Monday 10am – 4pm, Thursday 10am – 4pm

You could also contact the 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 and they can search for alternative options for legal support in the area you live. Often the local domestic abuse service run drop in legal sessions where you can get a short free appointment with a solicitor.

The following government website explains how to contact ‘UK Visas and Immigration’ yourself; https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk

Kind Regards,

Lisa

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi Mell, I am so sorry to hear that you are finding yourself under additional stress – not just from the immigration process itself but alaothat you may have a dodgy lawyer. If you google law society complaints there is advice and the phone number for the legal ombudsman. I would also phone the gov immigration service and make them aware of what is going on.

Sending strength to keep fighting,

Iwillbeok x

Mell
        Participant

Thank you very much for your support guys.I will give it a go and see if I get myself sorted.oxoxo

I dont have anything to offer about your situation as I don’t know about it.
      Just wanted to offer moral support
      all best
      ftc
      x

Ayanna
      Participant

Why, just why does this lawyer need your passports?
      You can complain about him in detail with the Law Society.
      Also, you can just go there and collect your passports.

The UK is still in the EU, so take it easy with your application. You have up to two years time after the UK leaving the EU to apply for leave to remain.
      The application forms for this are not even issued yet.
      Subscribe to the Home Office for updates, that gives you control over your residency status.
      You do not even need a lawyer for that.

Regarding the extorionate costs: you can claim money back when you contact the Law Society.

Mell
      Participant

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and advise, it really puts me in a better place than I was and more positive. I am contacting each person suggested and will keep you informed on progress. Xoxox

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content