Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

My ex and I split up (detail removed by moderator) but I am still suffering the after effects of what he did to me. I haven’t had a meaningful relationship since, I’ve built such a high wall and am constantly second guessing everything. I feel like he has changed me irreversibly. I have recently been back in touch with someone from (detail removed by moderator) (before the abusive ‘relationship’). We were in love with each other back then and never told each other. I’ve opened up to him to explain why I am the way that I am. He is truly brilliant but I still second guess everything that he tells me and I hate it, I know that it’s irrational but it’s just how I am now. On the phone today he reduced me to a blubbering mess with just 4 words. They were “It’s not your fault”. I still fell so much blame and guilt for everything and feel like that will never change. He suggested that I seek help to work through the trauma. Honestly, the bloke’s fantastic but I still don’t trust him. He doesn’t deserve that & I hate myself for it.
      Sorry for the rambling, call it textual diarrhoea!

Grey Rock
      Participant

Be gentle with yourself. Recovery does take time. I remember feeling exactly like you do. I felt like id completely lost myself and perhaps had died inside somehow but my body just didn’t realise.

Things will get better. You’ll start to trust yourself and your gut and trust again. You’ll start remembering the little things that made you tick and enjoy them again.

Have you considered the Freedom Program at all?

GR

Thanks GR. I have looked at it briefly but the cost has put me off.
      I honestly don’t think I’ll ever return to how I was before. As I said to him earlier, that girl has gone. It’s been (detail removed by moderator).

Grey Rock
      Participant

If you do it through Women’s Aid it’s free.

I didn’t think I would either. Once I stopped responding things did get better though. I’m not the same as I was before everything but I’ve stopped feeling like an escapee now, and am happy. I can see that there’s been a lot of progress.

GR

Thanks again. How do I sign up to it?

I feel like this too. Am waiting to hear from the police about my ex partners arrest. I have so much anxiety and wonder when this will ever go away
      Right now it feels so overwhelming.

Love18
      Participant

I know that feeling and it is fuelling my anxiety and pts

hi amipermanentlybroken,

this guy seems great and really supportive.. but maybe speaking to another man right now isnt the ideal thing to do. maybe you need more time for yourself and once you recover you can speak to him or someone else.

however, if you do really want to speak to him i suggest going to therapy and working through ur issues of the abuse and take things very slow with him and enjoy it.. falling in love again is going to be such a beautiful experience for u and its so exciting! dont be afraid not all men are terrible

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi AmIPermanentlyBroken

If you talk to your local DV charity, they should be able to get you on to the Freedom Programme. You can use the WA directory to find your local DV charity. https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Keepbeingbrave
      Participant

Hey, sorry to hear that you feel like this. But it’s completely natural. Abuse takes a lot of time to recover and heal from and I truely believe you don’t ever completely recover. Give yourself time, time is what will help you. And I found that educating myself helped aswell. Support groups like this. You are amazing, you survived. Take that as a starting point and work forward from that. I had to stop myself feeling guilty and start making myself feel proud. Give yourself some more credit. This is your life now. You are in control. Focus on what you have done lately that you are proud of. Abusers have a very clever way of stripping any positive thoughts you have about yourself away I know, so even this can be a struggle. And I do agree with a previous post. Don’t force yourself to move on until you are ready. It will only cause you more harm if you aren’t healed and it sounds like you’re not just ready. Recovery will not happen overnight and (detail removed by Moderator) months down the line, as positive as I do feel I do still have bad days. But again, it’s to be expected. Xx

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content