Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Inspired by Phoenix’s thread about songs, I’d really like some ideas for happy-making things to do with our children, when we’re feeling sad and it’s a sadness which has no purpose, so we need something to lift us out of it for a while.

We had supper with friends the other evening – the home front wasn’t mentioned once – instead we were laughing, joking, loving, living – it was great.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts and ideas … 💖

Strube
      Participant

Hi Swallow,

My children and I often take off to the countryside or the coast to spend some carefree hours. They get lost in the adventure of being outdoors and I take pleasure in being them happy. We talk about nature, they climb trees, play hide and seek or throw stones into the sea and we all just “be”.

Those are some of our happiest times because we are away from the people/things that cause us stress and we forget, at least for a few hours, about all the bad stuff.

I don’t think you need to distract children. They just need warmth and love that they will get in abundance from you. Anything you do with them will create happy time (no matter how short) and long-term memories.

I hope you and your children discover lots of ideas for happy days xx

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thanks Strube, lovely ideas 🙂 x

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Hi Swallow, As Strube says, I don’t think it matters very much what you do. When we feel free of abuse we are free to give our real selves and just enjoy being in the moment with our kids. They’ll get more from that than anything. We are having a ‘staycation’ this week as my kids have anxiety issues and don’t enjoy being away from home too much. We’re just playing in the garden, enjoying the countryside, visiting farms etc. Just quiet, peaceful fun that I’m hoping will build our resilience back up for the weeks ahead. One evening a while ago we camped ‘out’ in the living room, we made a cosy den and toasted marshmallows on the hob! I hope you all enjoy lots more love and laughter x*x

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m sure you’re right. That sounds fun, marshmallows on shopping list 😊 x

Serenity
      Participant

Home baking session, visiting farms and zoos ( animals have a soothing effect), getting a pet, picnics in the park, building dens with sheets in the lounge, guess the food sessions ( taster needs to be blindfolded!), making homemade chocolates ( you can buy mounds cheaply), garden obstacle course ( loads of fun- balancing bean bags, relay races, egg and spoon, etc) , planting herbs, planting a mini veggie garden, making a fairy garden, going to feed the ducks, going for a whopping hot chocolate at a cosy cafe, toasting marshmallows on a garden grill/ campfire/ disposable barbecue, board games, baths with fizzy bath bombs, dvd night with popcorn and blankets, explore your neighbourhood ( libraries can give you pointers/ a history/ list of things to look for)…..X

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you Serenity, some really fab ideas, with something of a chocolate theme (lady after my own heart) 😉 S xx

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content