Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Summerstars
      Participant

Hi,
      I can’t actually believe I’m doing this but I’m finally going leave (detail removed by moderator) I have a move in date for a property but it’s (detail removed by moderator) from the father of my young kids who I’m taking with me.
      I have no choice but to leave discreetly and I’m petrified of how he will react when he finds out.
      I’m full of anxiety and nerves.
      My question is, what do I now do legally? Should I wait to see how he reacts and go from there? Do I leave a letter/send a text or email explaining he can eventually see kids?
      Can I put anything in place to prevent him not returning the kids when he first sees them? Has anyone been through this? Is it normal to feel like I’m the bad person for making this decision and to sometimes think..what the hell am I doing? I’m panicking inside whilst trying to be calm on the outside.
      All of this is super stressful and feels awful like a living nightmare. Any advice is appreciated

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Summerstars,

Thank you for your post. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Its important you go to a safe place first- I would not suggest explaining this to him in person- you are not obligated to him in any way and you are not responsible for how he reacts.

Abusive men can escalate when they feel they are losing the control so I would encourage you to contact your local domestic abuse service if you haven’t already. They can support you with making a safe plan to leave.

Once you are safe you may want to seek legal advice around child contact going forwards. Rights of Women can provide free legal advice over the phone. They have a family law line which you can call regarding children and child contact issues.

Take care and keep posting

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content