Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Its been a few years since I left my violent ex and I am now dating for the first time. I met a nice guy and we’ve had several coffee and lunch dates. Our conversations are two sided and I’m taken aback a little that at no point has he made sexual references either face to face or by text. I’m starting to wonder is this what respect is? Lol. He texts atleast once a day to say hi and see how I am which is refreshing from past harrassment of zillions of texts and calls a day. I feel I am being over cautious and trying to second guess his agenda, is this due to my ptsd? When he asked me about the where abouts of my son’s dad. I just said hes not around, and he said, there’s no need to discuss it as I can see your feeling a bit nervous. I worry if i diclose my past at some point it will either make him run for the hills or use it against me. Im enjoying his company, but I am quite defensive at time’s and subconsciously not allowing myself to relax fully. Does anyone have any advice on dating for the first time since your abusive ex?

KIP.
      Participant

Take it slowly. Go at your own pace, and enjoy it x have boundaries and stick to them. You deserve to be happy and to be treated with respect. It probably just feels strange because you’re not used to being treated well. The thing I liked about meeting new men on dates was talking in an adult way without being interrupted lol.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I second that. I do not envision me ever going down the dating road but know if definately listen to my gut if I did. Enjoy your life for now, be in the moment. Ptsd is a terrible thing to have and go through, just be safe and most of all be happy. If it doesn’t feel right end it. If you don’t feel like telling this man about your past, don’t. Your life, your rules.
      Love and light IWMB 💞💞

diymum@1
      Participant

go with your gut always – set your boundaries – sloggies firmly on! for a good long time! hope you dont mind me saying that but its a good measure off a man if he can wait – patiently xxxx love diymmum

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks guys for your replies. I too never thought id entertain another relationship. However over (detail removed by moderator) years have passed with no form of datinf or wven texting men. I felt for a long time that I was a useless mother if I found someone new. That I was the s**t he always called me. So im happy I’ve finally got past that feeling. And yes sloggos are firmly on lol. Comes to think of it all of my underwear is far from sexy if it doesnt go past my belly button i dont buy them lol.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content