Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Recall
      Participant

Is it just me or can you be having a great day then all of a sudden, a song, a word, an environment etc acts as a trigger to remember they horrific moments and your whole attitude and behaviour is dictated by it.
      I was wondering if anyone had any advise on how to cope with these triggers in the moment :/?

MsTaken
      Participant

Hi recall, yes I get these triggers. One I struggle badly with are when my children come back from contact and they are singing songs he’s obviously playing in the car, that he used to play loud when he raped me. I get upset and angry and try to leave the room. They’re too young too understand what’s going on so then I have to lie to them about why I’m upset which makes me feel worse. Sorry I havnt got any advice. I’m in therapy for it now so if I learn any tricks I’ll post them on here x

Chickadee
      Participant

Hi Recall.

Yes. That can occur. Triggers occur due to a trauma or fear or both.

Yes. Deep Breaths, Slowly. Three times. It sends oxygen to the brain which in turn relaxes the mind and central nervous system.

Tell yourself it is not real. It already happened. You got through it. Your in the present.

Or if your in an opportune place when it occurs, yoga, meditation. Meditation can be as simple as returning to a happy moment in your life or allowing your mind to go to a favorite place, under a palm at a beach, and just allow your mind to relax.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Chickadee

I am not sure about the whole idea of ‘triggers’.

It is so easy for others to define them. When I really think we need to define them for ourselves.
      There are ‘triggers’ for people who have not had trauma, but they are not referred to as ‘triggers’
      all best
      ftc
      x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content