Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      cakepops
      Participant

For various complicated reasons my oldest child no longer has a court order to see his Dad. Currently they only have occasional videocalls, and these cause a wide range of emotions. They like some parts but nearly always things are said that cause a lot of upset.

My child is now at an age where they will likely have a phone soon. Ex is pushing for email and text contact to be established. Child isn’t sure if they want this.

How do I help them navigate what is best?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Cakepops,

Thank you for your post. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Your child also has a right to set their own boundaries around contact- as you mentioned this has previously caused them some distress. As children get older they can make their own decisions around contact with a non resident parent and what feels best for them.

The Coram Children’s Legal Centre provide free legal resources with advice and information on all aspects of family, child and education law, including relationship breakdown; parental disputes, duties of children’s services; child protection. They can be contacted on 0300 330 5480 (10am-4pm, Mon-Fri) and through their webchat service (8:30am-5:30pm Mon-Fri)

Best Wishes

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content