Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      swanlake
      Participant

I’ve started reading today about inner child work. It’s possible that I’ve read this kind of thing before but it’s good to read it again and keep ‘doing the work’ as they say to recover from childhood abuse.
      It would be good to hear if others have done the same thing or might like to try it.

browneyedmum
      Participant

I did inner child work a long time ago. I found it a good method for what my needs were then in reconciling things that had happened in my childhood and looking to myself to become my own parent, sorta speak, to give myself the love I didn’t receive then.

For myself as well, it has translated to me … more or less ‘re-scripting’ my children’s experiences by being the mother I never had and always wanted. Keeping them safe. Letting them know how much I love them and how much I respect their opinions and autonomy.

If folks are still using that approach with success… well, its certainly stood the test of time!

Lostnalone
      Participant

Swanlake I wil look at this thanks luv. Hope ur well.xxxx

nbumblebee
      Participant

I really struggle with it I cant seem to reach her. My therapist has tried so many different times and weve tried meditation emdr and other things and no i have no luck Its so hard to pinpoint why. Id be interested to hear if anyone else struggles and how you overcome this. X

swanlake
      Participant

Thank you for all replies. I’m sorry to hear this nbumblebee.
      As well as anger, something else that has come up for me in counselling is possible dissociation. I just don’t remember much of my childhood and only have some memories of abusive times. Perhaps a lack of memories is a barrier to inner child work? This is something that I will explore with my counsellor.

swanlake
      Participant

I’m hoping that even with so few memories, I can heal the wounded inner child somehow. I’d forgotten that I’d written this message so it’s good to be reminded of more things to bring up in counselling. It’s intense but I’m lucky to have support.

wildgeese
      Participant

Something I tried which may help is Internal Family Systems. It looks at the different parts of a person, which are like an internal family. Different parts get activated at different times and by befriending all the parts it’s possible to start accessing the true self again. This can be a way of getting in touch with your deeply hurt inner child. It worked to a certain extent for me. But like everything it requires discipline and patience!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content