Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Pixie123
      Participant

Hi all,

I know that camera door-bells can be monitored and Alexa devices listened into – as my abusive partner does both at the moment – and I read a few weeks ago somewhere that home internet providers (i.e. TalkTalk or BT) can be a way of the customer (that’s him) tracking internet access/browsing etc. but I’m not sure if this is correct. Has anyone heard about or know about this?

If it is true I want to share this here and so a workaround can be found.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Pixie123,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I hope you find the forum a safe and supportive place to be with others who understand.

There are unfortunately a few different ways to track browsing history, so wanted to share some information with ways to work around this. Our Cover Your Tracks Online guide includes information on browsing history generally, including how to delete your history, use a private browsing window, and more.

In some circumstances, the WiFi owner may be able to check the WiFi router’s logs to see browsing history, but not always. I know this can feel really scary, but there are steps around it.

If you want to find out more about what might be available through your internet provider, you can get in touch with them and ask for more detail. BT has a dedicated number for anyone in a vulnerable situation so you could call them on 0330 123 4150. Talk Talk has what they call a vulnerable customer team, I don’t have this number specifically, but their helpdesk number is 0345 172 0088 so if you call them and ask to speak to someone in that team, hopefully they should be able to put you in touch.

If it’s an option for you, the safest way to browse, safety plan and reach out for support will be on a device and network that your partner does not have access to, like a computer at work, a friend’s laptop, or your local library. Or if your partner doesn’t have access to your phone, you could use 3G/4G/5G to avoid the connection to the internet service provider.

Alternatively, if you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), this is a tool to protect your online privacy that can stop the WiFi owner and the internet provider from being able to see your browsing history in the same way. Examples of VPNs you could use include Nord and Norton, but there are a lot out there that work really well.

There’s more on our Cover Your Tracks Online guide about camera door bells and Alexa devices under “WiFi and smart devices”, but you may not be in a position to take certain steps with these just yet as it could alert your abusive partner if you remove their access.

Please do reach out for support when you’re able to, as this level of monitoring and control can be really overwhelming. Refuge have a dedicated technology-facilitated abuse and empowerment team who can work with you to carry out a tech assessment and safety plan, and you can email them on Tech_Abuse@refuge.org.uk.

Let me know if you have any questions at all, and keep posting when you can.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content