Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Cedarlemon
      Participant

Hi ladies Can I just ask why when we have made up our mind to leave an abusive partner that they seem to have an intuition that we are going to do this? How is it that they seem to know this?

X

Eggshells
      Participant

I suspect we give away clues in our behaviour that something has changed. I can’t see how it would be possible to make such a huge decision without it showing somehow in our demeanour.

Lottieblue
      Participant

Agreed. We have gone from utter despair to some sort of certainty. They don’t know, necessarily, that we are planning to leave, but they must, through this certainty, sense their power diminishing.

StrongLife
      Participant

I had been attempting to get out for some time. It was not difficult to see that.

I had been planning for some time but it was not in methodical way as it was very difficult. I had counsellor help in private methods. Never told him. It was only short contact as it was not good. Also there was people helping at that time that I could talk to when it was safe. They were supportive

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Yes mine sensed a.shift in me, I have read this a lot on.this forum about how they sense a change even though no words have been said about leaving..

Footballfan1
      Participant

Even more baffling is that mine knew I had had enough even before I did!!

I think he sensed the shift in me, in my behaviour but I hadn’t even decided I was leaving.

I think he realised he was losing control over me and he escalated badly.
      It went on for months before I finally had enough and there was a pretty spectacular incident that just led to us immediately split up.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content