Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Balloons
      Participant

Hi, I’m not too sure if this is okay to ask, and it might get deleted.. but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience (just general pointers) as to how cafcass treat emotional abuse and controlling behaviour when they do their reporting? In your experiences have they been educated or not? I’m worried that if they’re not educated they will just see him making the same accusations back at me and think we’re both as bad as each other – but I know it’s just lies and a tactic of his. Are they clever enough to wise up to it? What’s their level of training with it?

iliketea
      Participant

Been wondering this today too. I spoke to a barrister who said the courts are much more educated now than previously and that cafcass should be but she didnt know directly and had no experience

KIP.
      Participant

Ask them. Whoever is appointed ask what training they have had in domestic abuse. It’s sometimes a lottery but some of them have taken it upon themselves to educate themselves. Do,you have support from women’s aid? Perhaps that would help her understand that he is the abuser.

Balloons
      Participant

Okay I will ask. And no, I’m not supported by womensaid, I’ve read a few times about people saying they have a womensaid support worker and I dont really know what that means… should I call someone? And if so do you know who?

KIP.
      Participant

Call your local women’s aid. Or the national domestic abuse helpline who can put you in touch with organisations near you.

Balloons
      Participant

Are they a bit like an idva? I dont think there is a local womens aid near to me, I will call the national domestic abuse helpline and see if they can help. Thank you x

BarbaraFrances
      Participant

Cafcass workers SHOULD always be trained in some form of domestic abuse. I have experienced some workers who have great and some not so great. My only advice is to be clear about what you want to tell them, think it through and maybe make notes, it can be an emotional process dealing with courts and cafcass and so having a clear plan of what to say is good xx

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Balloons

I just wanted to show you some support, I hope you are doing ok. Just to let you know that you can find your local domestic abuse service here: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Take care and keep posting

Lisa

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content