• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Bettybird
      Participant

Hi all…. sorry to be nagative but do you think its possible for someone to be so totally broken by so many people for so long that its not possible to have a “normal” happy ever after?. I grew up with emotional, psychological and very rarely physical abuse straight into abusive relationships.I never had any family around me other than parents so didnt experience healthy family relationships at all. Is it possible to be simply unable to live a normal life? Im not convinced that I can. I pretty sure im beyond repair. I m so numb im not sure I can recognize the “love” feelings even for my wonderful children.I feel something nice when i think of my son but it just makes me want to cry. God I sound barking!

KIP.
      Participant

Hey there, yes a good happy afterlife is possible. It takes work and courage. I found a fantastic therapist who stripped my brain and thought patterns apart and rewired them correctly. It sounds like you’re still traumatised by the abuse. It’s important to get help to understand how abuse affects us all x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi your post is more or less how I feel, completely broken by my abuser, my adult son too. Our confidence levels are so low, I also had childhood abuse. I was able to love my children, it wasn’t until after escaping this last one that I realised I’ve been abused all my life too. I have reached a point that I feel I’ll never be able to trust again. Even though I desperately need & want to rebuild my life & be strong & well again I struggle with confidence & I’m always feeling different to everyone else. I also find it extremely difficult to assert myself & get fed up being constantly told by everyone that everything was my fault because I’m the way I am. I was so Afraid & have always been afraid of what others think & they greatly use it to their advantage in underestimating me, telling me my mood is low. Of course our mood is low after all we’ve been through x

Dragonfly
      Participant

I’m only (detail removed by Moderator) out. I was a wreck. But I absolutely believe there is a better life for us when we leave. I’ve already experienced this in small but significant ways. Little glimmers of hope.

My friend’s coming round this afternoon and we’re going to book a cheap holiday for us and our kids.

I think finding out who you can trust is a massive hurdle but those true people build you up, not set you down. You’ll find yourself getting stronger, having opinions and boundaries. If you don’t want to do something it’s not a problem. All of this brings confidence and you find your spirit again xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, I think you’re right Dragon Fly its who you can trust that’s the massive hurdle, He completely shattered my trust & since leaving he has pretty much through his lies destroyed all previous relationships too, even that of my own family & my friends he didn’t even know! I only wish now that I’d have gained more proof of his abuse before I left, but was in such a dreadful state that then all I could think about was escaping. I have had little glimmers of hope, but then have got to the point that I think Maybe if I don’t tell anyone, then no one can come along & ruin, Kind of feel I’ll have to love a secret life to keep it safe! x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content