Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi everyone, I’m a divorced woman as I was previously in an abusive relationship a few years ago.
      I’ve tried to recover and met a boy from the internet
      We don’t live in the same city and due to religious reasons we don’t meet up only if family is present so we don’t kiss or have an intimate relationship

So my bf has met my family he’s amazing and kind but I felt he cussed me the other day, I told him my sisters friend wanted to (detail removed by Moderator) and he was in disbelief he said why would she choose u and then he was like Does she think u look like (detail removed by Moderator) or something? I hung up and was extremely upset with him. I’ve been with him so long and we had so many disagreements he’s never said anything hurtful to me he’s always been extremely kind and considerate to me.

It’s been (detail removed by Moderator) months since I was with him he says I misunderstood and he said why wouldn’t she ask (detail removed by Moderator) or someone she knows. His words were hurtful but he said he doesn’t mean it.
      He begged for me to forgive him and insisted that I took things the wrong way. Because my ex husband hated the way I looked I’m worried my new partner is doing this now we are almost engaged like now he got me he’s being rude am I wrong did I misunderstand?

Like I know I’m not (detail removed by Moderator) material but u don’t really want a guy ur with to not think ur attractive
      I mean he always says he finds me attractive so I’m worried
      What if he ends up being bad
      I considered dumping him over this but this was the first ever time he’s said something like this and I’ve been with him for (detail removed by Moderator) months
      Is it dumpworthy will this man be abusive to me in the future
      Maybe I worry more becaue inexperienxed severe abuse

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi brokenheartedgirl,

Do trust your gut on this; it’s understandable that you are affected by his words if they were unkind. He doesn’t seem to be acknowledging that what he has said was wrong and a hurtful thing to say, but rather he seems to be making you feel you misunderstood him. So somehow, it is your fault or problem you feel this way.

Being in a relationship for matter of months is still a relatively new relationship where you are still learning about each other. Again, trust your instincts and just remember; you have every right to feel the way you do and take action as you feel is appropriate on this. He needs to be respectful of this and if he isn’t, this only serves as another ‘red flag’ regarding his behaviour.

Hopefully other women here will come soon and offer insight on this as well for you. Do keep posting to let us know how you are moving forward. If his behaviour changes and worries you, do make contact with your local domestic abuse service to get both emotional and practical support and advice.

Take care,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content