Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      survivorandproud
      Participant

I’m not sure what is classed as PTSD, but since leaving I’ve had quite intense, horrible dreams regarding my ex every night. I’m struggling to sleep when I do, my anxiety is up and down constantly. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice and if it would be worth going to the doctors?

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi survivorandproud, this could fit in with the other signs of PTSD and seems to be very common in survivors of trauma. I had very vivid dreams, not immediately after but a while after I was free. I think it was my mind processing things now that I was safe. I do not recall having dreams for a very, very long time before that. Interestingly, as I went through counselling and no contact the dreams changed. I began to answer back in my dreams – something I hadn’t dared do to him in real life. I have had trouble sleeping on occassion usually when stressed, or there has veen some kind of trigger. My GP prescribed valium (* can’t remember its new name). I found this helped and found no ill effects in the few times I’ve taken it.

It would be worth talking to your GP.

Iwillbeok x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

It seems only natural that after living a life of simply surviving when its not possible to process what is happening to you that afterwards the reality of those situations and especially the terror felt during them move up into our dreams and waking conscious when the daily/nightly levels of anxiety start to ease off once out of it.

I have tried lots of things to comfort myself and get back into the reality of now, keeping lights on, a radio or tv quietly talking (but sometimes this has caused awful terrors too, as can any noise at night for me). I think all you can do is give yourself every support you can whilst you revisit these trauma’s – go to anyone you can trust to give you support without judgement.

The processing is important for you to move on and let go of it all, but its tough and i send you strength and warmest wishes TS

Sunflowersandstars
      Participant

I’m in the same position at the moment- nightmares, flashbacks, memories swirling around in my head. I ignored it for a number of months and it just got worse, my anxiety was through the roof most days, the other days I was grateful to be out and felt strong for getting out safely. I ended up visiting the doctor and getting referred for counselling (should start soon) and have tablets for anxiety to take when it gets a bit much. I’ve been very up and down but try and keep myself grounded and do the following things;
      Meditate
      Yoga
      Exercise
      Write
      Listen to music
      Self healing (reiki)
      Some days it feels like such a chore to do these things and I just want to curl up in bed with my dogs. I feel since I went to the doctor it’s helped. Actually things didn’t properly register with me until I had a really bad nightmare and it was like a switch was flipped and I seen him for what he was- an abuser. This was some time since I left and it’s all been a bit of a shock. I think my mind and body has waited until it’s safe and then it’s all came out. I can relate to where you are right now and you are not alone -good luck with what you decide to do.
      SaS

survivorandproud
      Participant

Thank you for all your support and advice ladies, I think I am going to focus on exercise and go to the doctors regarding my anxiety. It’s such a difficult journey and each day feels different. Good luck to all of you and stay strong x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content