Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ISOPeace
      Participant

I read this on a course I started about abuse. I thought it would be good to share because I’ve heard so often that nothing is 100% one person’s fault in a relationship:

“It takes two to tango.”
      This misconception paints relationships with too broad a brush. Certainly it applies to many relationships, but not an abusive one. In fact, these very words seek to blame the victim of abuse, perpetuating the shame, sense of responsibility, and guilt that is often felt. It also allows outsiders to judge the abusive relationship unfairly, leaving the recipient of the abuse embarrassed and feeling isolated. And lastly, the most dangerous aspect of this message is that it completely lets the abuser off the hook and simultaneously blames the victim for the abuse, making it far more likely that it will happen again and again.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Thank you for sharing, ISOPeace.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content