Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sunflowersunshine
      Participant

I was at work and got a call where the customer was swearing and shouting and being generally abusive. I asked management for help as it was really triggering and they said just to give warnings and end the call. It took me 30 minutes to do so. I kept asking for help and I kept being told to fix it for myself. And afterwards I went to tell a family member to calm down and they said just don’t make a big deal of it an get over it.

So I just did. Because I must be wrong. That abuse is normal. That’s what I got from that. I’m so confused. I just want to do the right thing but it seems like I’m not meant to do the right thing for me.

Bananaboat
      Participant

Gosh I’m so sorry for your experience. Having worked with those type of calls in the past I’d never leave someone who had asked for help like you were, in fact even if you hadn’t asked for help and your colleagues could see it was a difficult call I would’ve expected them to check in & take over if needed. Does your manager know your history and why it triggered you so strongly? You don’t need to tell them everything but they have a duty to protect you and it’s in their interest to do so, so you don’t go off sick, if they aren’t sure how to support you ask for a referral to occupational health. Your reaction is valid, no one knows how they’ll feel during those calls, dv background or not, and we’d always say go for a walk, settle your mindset and return if you feel able to or talk to a manager if not. The old ‘pull yourself together’ advice is rubbish. If it happens again you don’t even need to wait, just calmly say to the caller I am ending your call now and hang up. Remember the caller was in the wrong, not you. Don’t let one bad experience knock you off course, you know abuse is wrong and you don’t deserve it. xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content