Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      sweet4
      Participant

he has now changed the log in details for our joint bank account.
      Its his mobile number thats on the account.
      The (detail removed by moderator) money goes in (detail removed by moderator).
      Im soooo angry.
      b******

KIP.
      Participant

Contact the bank as soon as possible. Any debt in there is half yours and you need to get your name off it as soon as possible. Especially if he may be evicted using a non mol soon. Do you have a legal separation date?

KIP.
      Participant

My ex emptied and froze the bank account and cancelled all the direct debits and didn’t tell me. He was removed from the property but left me a mess to sort out.

sweet4
      Participant

Poor you Kip.
      They are awful, i dont have separation date, no one has ever mentioned that, not even the solicitor. i dont know anything about that.Just tried to leave the house, to make the call. (detail removed by moderator), Great!!!

KIP.
      Participant

The legal separation date is when legally you are separate entities for finances amongst other things, the divorce finances and martial assets etc are decided using that separation date. So all the debt and property and marital assets are split using that date. if you’re married and he runs up tens of thousand of pounds in debt before legal separation you are liable for half of that however if you have a legal separation date, anything after that isn’t included in joint marital assets or debt. It was one of the first things I needed to do was out forward a date of separation.

sweet4
      Participant

Thank you Kip.
      Lets just see if they get thrown out.
      So then i would have to pay the solicitor, they want £1,000 up front then £250 for every session. Im not entitled to legal aid.Its not easy is it.
      🙁

KIP.
      Participant

No it’s not easy but a separation date is really important and you may have to prove it in court so by removing your name from the joint account. Keeping a journal showing you are living separate lives and dating the same it may save you a lot of problems later on. So make that date provable. Financial abuse is very common. He could be running up credit card debt, you are liable for half of that. Taking out bank loans, you are liable for half of that. That legal separation date is vital.

KIP.
      Participant

Financial control is starting. Next he will be telling you to pay half of all bills if you’re lucky or all of them. It’s another way they control and bully and humiliate. Make sure you have any money hidden away. Somewhere he won’t find it. You will be told to disclose all bank accounts and assets and you can bet he’s ahead of the game hiding any joint money and his own money.

KIP.
      Participant

Surviving Economic Abuse have a great website. Check them out and protect yourself financially x

sweet4
      Participant

Hi Kip
      The thing is the (detail removed by moderator) money goes into our joint account, so im screwed basically. Gonna read about that website you recommended. thank you

KIP.
      Participant

You can take identification to the bank and withdraw money that way. Banks have vulnerable customer sections where they should be trained in financial abuse. These men want us dependent on them so will withhold money to that end. It’s all about control. Be prepared to get to the bank as soon as he’s removed from the property, or sooner if it’s a joint account then he can freeze it and neither of you can access it or change it. I was told before then wither can make changes to the joint account so watch form him removing your name.

sweet4
      Participant

Him Kip
      I called the bank, yes he has frozen the account or the online banking details.
      So they are going to send me new log in details, by post, that will take like a week.
      What he can remove my name, seriously, its a joint account, as stated earlier, the (detail removed by moderator)  money goes into the joint account, im sure that would be against the law, as its both of our money.
      I will go to the bank tomorrow,and see if i can withdraw money. Just reading back, yes Kip, if he gets removed from here, its all down to the Judge now, hope its a woman Judge.

KIP.
      Participant

My ex intercepted my new bank account details and he will do the same I believe. They don’t care if it’s illegal. I’m not sure where the money is coming from but I can imagine he has told them to pay the money into his sole bank account. The law works slowly and if he has the money coming into his bank account and you’re not legally separated he can do what he wants with it. He will just say he gave you your half in cash. They are liars. You need to get help here. Try women’s aid. I never expected my ex to be stealing money from me but it’s laughable because he did way worse so why not steal too x do not underestimate him, his aim is to take the shirt off your back. They are entitled and thus you deserve nothing and he deserves everything.

Camel
      Participant

As I understand it, as soon as any cash reaches a joint bank account it becomes shared money. One partner can empty the account, run up an overdraft, cancel direct debits, and so on. The best thing to do is stop your share going into the account in the first place. Give your employer/universal credit/whoever your new bank details. If there are bills in your sole name make sure you set up new DDs or pay by cheque. Run a credit check frequently, at least until divorce is finalised and assets are divided.

sweet4
      Participant

He has left (detail removed by moderator) in the bank.
      He hasnt paid the mortgage in (detail removed by moderator)  months.
      I dont know what to do, as im on UC and so is he.

vivet
      Participant

I don’t think he can remove your details from the joint account without your permission – check this with you bank.
      Can you open a new account in your name only and move some of the money into that or is this too dangerous?
      Could you get your UC paid in this new account?
      Also you can register your separation date on the government website https://www.gov.uk/legal-separation but this does cost £365.00

Stay strong honey

sweet4
      Participant

Thank youx

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content