Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I just can’t believe how far I’ve got in my recovery. I still have bad days but overall my future is worth living for. I just fed, lost for words!

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

This is brilliant, well done on your progress, it’s very inspiring! 🙂

Thank you 😀. I feel proud of this achievement because it will be all mine. This to me is so much more exciting than getting married because this is 100% for me and I know what I’m getting myself into. My family took it better than expected I thought they wouldn’t be happy. But the key thing is I’m taking control, I’m becoming self sufficient, no man will ever be in control of me again that for sure! I’m going to live my life on my terms and if it isn’t good enough well get out of my life and shut your door on the way out!

I’ve also been talking to guys and still seeing that younger guy now and again. I’m taking very very slow BABY steps and I can totally recognise an unhealthy relationship a mile off! I am also looking to get promoted at work as well. Honestly there is a life after abuse life with abuse is no life. Anyone contemplating leaving please read the positive real posts on here and you’ll see that you can too can get there! I’m turning my life around! From a person who was completely isolated from all her family and friends to turn around to say she’s viewing a place to buy for herself well that’s a huge thing. I never thought I would be able to be comfortable being alone again because of the extent of the abuse but look at me now! Xxxx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

You are at the place in life where I am aiming for, it’s good to hear how it is all progressing well. How wonderful to have your own flat, I totally understand wanting to be self sufficient and not dependent on anyone as that way we are more vulnerable to abuse. It must be great being able to decorate it all nice in your own style too and have everything where you want it 🙂

That’s nice that you are dating someone whilst being aware of any red flags. Are you dating online? If so just watch out for psychopaths and sociopaths, there are a lot of them on dating sites. I met my ex online and he is a classic psychopath. They are very charming at first, seemed like a super sweet caring gentleman but he ended up being truly evil, abusive, no empathy, remorse, guilt or conscience, a pathological liar and was cheating on me the whole time. Listen to your gut and if something feels off then it is (my gut told me there was something off about him after only a few dates but I dismissed it and it was right all along!)

For me it is too soon, a man I met recently on a course who asked me on some dates, my friends know him and say he’s a good guy but I can’t decide if he has red flags or not and the thought of a relationship right now makes me feel ill. Hopefully one day I can date again, enjoy it and feel ok. It’s good to know it is possible, thanks for sharing your positive story.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content